Wide bar upgrade?

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
This topic isn't so retro soz, expect advice to suit. :)
My medium Bfe frame was nailed together with 150 travel marzocchis I had in stock and tough wheels so it's sort or a long travel trail beast by default! Bar wise I put on the 2" rise 680mm deity bars and 60mm 0 deg stem. Because that's what I had off my other bike. I'm 6ft 2 and although I like a shorter frame and high bars, it felt a bit high and shortish up front, So in the sales I got a 0 deg 70mm stem in modern 31.8 flavour, all I need now is bars and grips. About 1 inch rise.
Looking into the new science of wide bars Im dead tempted to get 750mm eastons just to try it! Or slightly shorter and cheaper Raceface.

Anyone made the leap?

Cheers

PA072960.jpg

Not the most ideal pic for this topic! Due to wonky angle! :LOL:

I have some RaceFace SixC and a pair of RaceFace Atlas AMs both at 735 if I remember rightly with minimal rise and they feel bob on and would suit that set up alright I think. Also got some OnOne 760 low rise on the Fatty as well and they feel good too but 735 is enough for me to be honest.

Great. Thanks for the advice. Looking at either Easton havoc dh at 750 mid rise, and Raceface respond at 740. Worth a try, halfway there...

Wen form 540 to 710 with no major improvements. At your height i think youd be about right for 750 or a little less.
Cant be bothered to cut mine but for my height and what not id be about right at 670/680 ish.
If they are too wide they can be counter constructive and have you in the wrong riding position.

I run Answer 780 DH bars on both my bikes; the feel and sweep is perfect. I also really like the extra width.

I went from 685 to 711 wide bars and didn't notice much difference, and still found the 711 bars too narrow, with my brakes levers too close to the bend. So went for a full on increase and love it. The bike does feel easier to manhandle through technical sections.

I'd do it, go for a wide bar and trim back in small increments if too wide.

Thank you, that is what I was thinking, can always chop a bit off.
Widest in the fleet is 710 or so in the DMR wingbar cromo. The deity bars started at that but I cut them! So an extra 50 should be easy to take on.

Was sold on Raceface atlas FR (those a crazy 785 and a clash orange colour) or respond till yesterday,
Now tempted by the Easton havoc dh in sensible black, all getting great reviews, at great prices, and seemingly great bars at a very sensible weight....

OK... :cool:

Also take a look at Nukeproof bars, mine started at 760 or 780 on my long travel hardtail but after some months I trimmed them to 720 as my arms were too strait to push the bike through on steep downhills if you see what I mean.

As has allready been suggested, start wide and trim bit by bit.

Great bike BTW. :D

Many thanks shedobits. Glad you like, it's due just a few tweaks yet.
Good point about straight arms. 750 does seem a tad OTT but can't hurt to try it and give it a good test run. And trim if it really doesn't work. How good are Nukeproof these days? I have their seat post already. :)

I always ran 600mm X Lites then I got some 640mm Club Roost Go Fat risers and they felt about right. Reently I put 700mm NC-17 bars on a build thinking it was sort of modern and might feel good.

The 60mm difference feels huge and I'm still getting used to them. Feel good when I'm ploughing on but lest chuckable than before. I think I like it but I'm not the biggest so they feel about as wide as I could go.

Back