Avid BB5 setup

Thaumaturge

Devout Dirtbag
Just installed a front caliper.. centered it with a business card. The lever is a tektro copy of the official Avid lever. I set the cable tightness to just off of rotor contact, and when centering/adjusting set the inside adjustable pad back one click from same. With all this i was expecting great braking power from only a little movement of the lever.. and yet it needs to nearly touch the handlebar to really get grip. Am i missing something?

Levers here

25-12-201219-36-35_zps7980da26.jpg

Yes. BB5 has one static pad.
Is what i do to set these up is slacken off cable. Then i tighten the inside static pad so it touches the rotor. Then i pull the actuation arm for the other side pad and tighten the caliper while keeping it held. After, slacken off the inner pad a turn or so, so it clears the rotor with minimal gap. Then setup cable as normal.

Think thats it, harder without it being in front of me.

Thank you.. that worked a lot better and makes more sense when i think about it.. that i should be as tight as possible to the non-adjustable pad. Have a slight contact atm but will burn that off.. braking force is much stronger now :)

Cyfa's pretty much covered it all there, but something else to bare in mind is if they're brand new, they'll take about 50miles of bedding in before you'll be really impressed with them.

Back