Anodised nipples.

Luke26mhz

Retro Guru
My LBS advised me to stay clear from anodised nipples because they can fuse to the threads & they also round off very easily.

Is the above true? I'm wanting to run anodised nipples on my new wheels, but I'm concerned.

They can, but then so can brass one (but not so easily)

Go for it, they just tend not to be a smooth when building the wheel.

I had my wheels for almost 20 years, been through rina, mud, ice, salt, sea and not tweaked very much and they're still fine.
Though if they do seize they are reasonably easy to get off and fit another one.

Of course as they're not a nice to build with (or they never used to be BiTD) then they may well charge you more.

In fact I've probably had more seized brass nipples to play with then Alu, but then again that could just be more brass nipples have been used in total or cheap brass nipples in budget wheels are crap.

ture as being aluminium, they are softer than brass (the alternative metal) so will round off sooner but that only happens if they are seized, which is preventable.

I have only had one nipple begin to round off in gawd knows hom many years on many wheels and then it is pretty cheap to get a replacement. It would not prevent me from selecting alloy nipples

a drop of oil between nipple and spoke and nipple and rim/eyelet before trying to turn the nipple helps it to turn.

Back