Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:57 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:15 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Hi gang,

Is the 1998 --> area of RB a place for (not specifically vintage old school) BMX too?

Anyone here still playing with their 'kids bikes'?! haha I mean adult size BMX be it specifically 20", 22" or, 24", 26", 29er versions?!

I've not been on my tank FreeAgent for ages, and not anything semi serious on a BMX for a long time but decided I'm going to build a decentish cool semi modern bike before I get too old etc! ... :lol:

What ya got?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:19 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner

Not ridden the old girl in years :cry:

Specialized Vegas TMX24.. basically their cruiser that I turned into a 24" jump/street bike. Had one of the orignal fat tubed ones, but they all cracked an Specialized replaced it for me with the 2002 model, even if it was nearly 3 years old when it cracked

Built it with a Halo rear, Atom Lab rear hub and disc conversion, M4 front/Mini rear, Profile cranks, V12's, Marzochhi Z2's that proved utterly bombproof... even on 5ft drops!! 8) XT front hub, and 24Seven finishing kit (bars, stem and seat)

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:58 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Wow I was struggling to work out what it was then. The small frame threw me, combined with a 24 MTb jump style. Nice! Guess it works too. Forks will relax the sharp BMX head. Great. Might be time for a spruce up then. I was debating cruiser but built a dmr rhythm with my old tornado wheels, rather than sell wheels of course.

It was after stripping and weighing my mucky old ex commute BMX that I fancied another slicker lighter BMX build for my next! Mixing 2000's bits with modern will be an interesting learning curve/gamble!

After eyeballing option I stuck an order in for a new frame. I must be nuts! Too old for it all :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:55 pm 
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC

hoffman flash xl, aint ridden it in bloody years properly, rek id hurt myself now lol, got it off a minor celeb when he rode trails with me years ago :D

lhd gspot hub, grinded the dropouts to 14mm as i rode mini loads bitd, as well as race/dirt. only needs bigger bars and some balls to be ridden again lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Looks like a real bruiser that. 8) cool dirt bike. Reminds me of the frame I was tempted to buy, a Macneil Gary Young 2. Also a lot like the KHE Dirty Harry I had briefly, that was a beast. So a case of hurting yourself huh? Yep I don't fancy doing anything too crazy, like watching technical and clean riders like Tate Roskelley, honing transferrable slills properly, I think thats what's inspired me, the new one will have some retro touches to so should double as a fun summer bike and easily fit in the car...! :D ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:22 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Heres mine, 2011 Standard Trailboss

Doesn't get ridden as much as I'd like these days but I'm still trying to resist growing up. Every time I ride it its like a shot of absinthe after drinking the warm beer that is mountain biking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:07 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

stevet1 wrote:
Every time I ride it its like a shot of absinthe after drinking the warm beer that is mountain biking.

Yeah I like that, great! 8) :lol: Sounds about right.

Sweet looking bike too. So far all a bit 'Dirt' I think Mine is meant to be a Dirt bike, so something a bit more street orientated next...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:34 pm 
Retro Guru

i love the Specialized Vegas bike above used to have the old 24 inch one till it was stolen :cry:

still got a mythic scream jump bike set up all ready to go but havnt got round to using it this year

(if that Vegas ever comes up for sale might be tempted )

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:48 pm 
aka Leo Swayer
aka Leo Swayer

I've got this for mooching about on :D
Its had a few tweeks since this pic, great fun for gliding about on. It wears small block 8's now run at silly high pressures for minimal rolling resistance :D

Attachments:
004.JPG
004.JPG [ 221.62 KiB | Viewed 487 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:58 pm 

ba57ards wrote:
i love the Specialized Vegas bike above used to have the old 24 inch one till it was stolen :cry:

You mean the fat tubed maroon one?

That was the one that I originally bought, bu the seat tube cracked on mine a 4 others I knew of.... when mine went, they replaced it with the new black one above... its got some lush profiling on the tubes. After 3 days of having it rebuilt, it got nicked.... so I bought a new one and started again :roll:

Its now got Hookworms on, and the rear JUST squeazes in between the stays

ba57ards wrote:
(if that Vegas ever comes up for sale might be tempted )

Sorry, getting burried with this one :lol:
Its next on the resto list and will have some uber special paint going on it :wink:

G