Which suspension?

Ruscoe

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi,
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but given as i am still fairly new to MTB riding i thought i would ask a question even if it is a stupid one to you guru's...

I have just bought a 2001 Orange Patriot, i am going to completely rebuild it but would like some direction as to what forks to select for it. i have a set of Psylo's and a set of Rebas, set to 115mm travel. Woudl either of these fork sets work? or should i sell them both and buy something else? If so what do you recommend?

Thanks

Just my personal....The Patriot is a full on downhiller and designed to work with long travel forks and rear shocks. You could set it up with 115 mm up front and 165 in back (which would be far too short) but it would limit the bike and you'd never get the most put of it. For forks something like Marzocchi 66s 160mm or any of the 888s, Drop Offs or Boxxers would be the ones to go for.
If you intend to use it as a trail bike it may be worth thinking about somethong else, they don't like climbing that much.......

Prob better off contacting Orange about that, nto sure what the 2001 had fitted from the box but my mates 1999? has 120mm travel forks I think.

Dickyboy":2t8g041t said:
Prob better off contacting Orange about that, nto sure what the 2001 had fitted from the box but my mates 1999? has 120mm travel forks I think.

Manitou X Vert Dc 170mm if I remember correctly.

Right Ok guys, is there anything i can do to set the bike up for trails rather than out and out downhill?

I wouldn't bother with the Psylos myself as I think they're hateful things.

As its am older Patriot, you may well get away with a shorter fork on it. The 05 Patriot came with 130mm fox forks from the factory if I remember correctly.

I personally would want some 130mm forks on it so would sell both pairs and buy some Z1's or similar.

Hi,
yes its an older patriot, I bought it out of boredom waiting for my Msisle. Looking at it now i may just move the frame on and stick with the Msisle.

Russ

The old patriots were in the era when 120mm was 'long' travel. The frame will run perfect with 130mm. I have run lots of these frames, the most recent was an LT version (slightly longer stroke shock to give 6'' travel) which was meant for the likes of an X-vert tripple similar.

They make brilliant all round bikes. If you can get yourself one of the rare 190mm x 57mm shocks you'll have yourself the LT version (identical frames just the extra 7mm stroke on the shock!)

Psylo's are very poor. I'd run some Z1's or similar at 130mm.

Back