And then there were 12....

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I suppose it was only a matter of time:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/t ... oup-35956/

The very nice but uber-expensive Italian maker Tiso seems to have pipped the Big Three (Campag/Shimano/SRAM) to it!

I'll be sticking to my Sachs 16-speed (8 & 2, of course) set-up, thank you very much. Modern gruppos with their skinny chains and wafer-thin cog spacings are notorious vulnerable in a cyclo-cross environment.

David

Mavic certainly had an electronic road groupset in the past but not sure it was wireless. i met a roady with a super trick all carbon bike 8-10 years ago fitted with such a set up. He said it was imperative you got it in the gear you wanted for takeoff before you stopped as the small battery couldn't shift gears unless it was getting some dynamo produced current aswell whilst you moved :?

"12-speed, 11-29T cassette with titanium cogs that reportedly weighs just 150g."

Sounds robust doesn't it!!!

pointless. What's wrong with the present system?? Cables work no batteries needed.

More hyper bullsh*t that we are told we can't live with out.

I saw this, and to be honest can't think why they'd bother making it wireless if then then stick that great big fugly black battery/control box on there. if it was hidden in the frame somwhere and you could get rid of all external cables then that would be much better.

If it is compatible with shimano and campagnolo 10 and 11s cassettes, then I can see that being a useful feature though. I don't think it looks too bad either, with the exception of the control box and the rear mech wire.

Full wireless would be better, but might cause problems with battery life and charging.

foz":kck89ltk said:
I saw this, and to be honest can't think why they'd bother making it wireless if then then stick that great big fugly black battery/control box on there. if it was hidden in the frame somwhere and you could get rid of all external cables then that would be much better.

If it is compatible with shimano and campagnolo 10 and 11s cassettes, then I can see that being a useful feature though. I don't think it looks too bad either, with the exception of the control box and the rear mech wire.

Full wireless would be better, but might cause problems with battery life and charging.

I guess it's only the prototype, even so it's not a pretty-looking item by Tiso standards. The Sereo/Altero cable-shift rear derailleur is a far more pleasing item.

David

Wireless eh? Can't wait until they start using that in competition ... so I can hack it and put all my opponents in granny gear. :twisted:

I believe pneumatic gear shifters and hydraulic gear shifters exist. the latter would be great, just like disc brakes you wouldn't need to adjust them once they were set up :D

velomaniac":3lkiioxd said:
Mavic certainly had an electronic road groupset in the past but not sure it was wireless. i met a roady with a super trick all carbon bike 8-10 years ago fitted with such a set up. He said it was imperative you got it in the gear you wanted for takeoff before you stopped as the small battery couldn't shift gears unless it was getting some dynamo produced current aswell whilst you moved :?

Mavic Zap I suspect. It was years ahead of its time. It didn't work well in the wet though. I'm sure I remember Alex Zulle launching his expensive TT bike into a field on the third bike change in one TT stage.

velomaniac":1i1wehwi said:
I believe pneumatic gear shifters and hydraulic gear shifters exist. the latter would be great, just like disc brakes you wouldn't need to adjust them once they were set up :D

But if you have a crash out on a trail and oil is pissing out then what are going to do?
cables are easy to fix for a 'get you home ride'

The seting up all part of the fun and the tinkering. Long live cables.
Also rigid forks are adjustment free. But many have susser forks.

Back