Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:28 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:07 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
I suppose it was only a matter of time:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/t ... oup-35956/

The very nice but uber-expensive Italian maker Tiso seems to have pipped the Big Three (Campag/Shimano/SRAM) to it!

I'll be sticking to my Sachs 16-speed (8 & 2, of course) set-up, thank you very much. Modern gruppos with their skinny chains and wafer-thin cog spacings are notorious vulnerable in a cyclo-cross environment.

David


Last edited by David B on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:33 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:16 pm
Posts: 8658
Mavic certainly had an electronic road groupset in the past but not sure it was wireless. i met a roady with a super trick all carbon bike 8-10 years ago fitted with such a set up. He said it was imperative you got it in the gear you wanted for takeoff before you stopped as the small battery couldn't shift gears unless it was getting some dynamo produced current aswell whilst you moved :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:44 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:37 pm
Posts: 1728
Location: UK Southwest
"12-speed, 11-29T cassette with titanium cogs that reportedly weighs just 150g."

Sounds robust doesn't it!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:01 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
pointless. What's wrong with the present system?? Cables work no batteries needed.

More hyper bullsh*t that we are told we can't live with out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:57 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:40 am
Posts: 3000
I saw this, and to be honest can't think why they'd bother making it wireless if then then stick that great big fugly black battery/control box on there. if it was hidden in the frame somwhere and you could get rid of all external cables then that would be much better.

If it is compatible with shimano and campagnolo 10 and 11s cassettes, then I can see that being a useful feature though. I don't think it looks too bad either, with the exception of the control box and the rear mech wire.

Full wireless would be better, but might cause problems with battery life and charging.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
foz wrote:
I saw this, and to be honest can't think why they'd bother making it wireless if then then stick that great big fugly black battery/control box on there. if it was hidden in the frame somwhere and you could get rid of all external cables then that would be much better.

If it is compatible with shimano and campagnolo 10 and 11s cassettes, then I can see that being a useful feature though. I don't think it looks too bad either, with the exception of the control box and the rear mech wire.

Full wireless would be better, but might cause problems with battery life and charging.


I guess it's only the prototype, even so it's not a pretty-looking item by Tiso standards. The Sereo/Altero cable-shift rear derailleur is a far more pleasing item.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:59 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:57 pm
Posts: 4074
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Wireless eh? Can't wait until they start using that in competition ... so I can hack it and put all my opponents in granny gear. :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:22 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:16 pm
Posts: 8658
I believe pneumatic gear shifters and hydraulic gear shifters exist. the latter would be great, just like disc brakes you wouldn't need to adjust them once they were set up :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:32 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:18 pm
Posts: 3798
Location: Staffordshire
velomaniac wrote:
Mavic certainly had an electronic road groupset in the past but not sure it was wireless. i met a roady with a super trick all carbon bike 8-10 years ago fitted with such a set up. He said it was imperative you got it in the gear you wanted for takeoff before you stopped as the small battery couldn't shift gears unless it was getting some dynamo produced current aswell whilst you moved :?


Mavic Zap I suspect. It was years ahead of its time. It didn't work well in the wet though. I'm sure I remember Alex Zulle launching his expensive TT bike into a field on the third bike change in one TT stage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:50 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
velomaniac wrote:
I believe pneumatic gear shifters and hydraulic gear shifters exist. the latter would be great, just like disc brakes you wouldn't need to adjust them once they were set up :D


But if you have a crash out on a trail and oil is pissing out then what are going to do?
cables are easy to fix for a 'get you home ride'

The seting up all part of the fun and the tinkering. Long live cables.
Also rigid forks are adjustment free. But many have susser forks.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group