Brechfa in December!

Carge

Retrobike Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Well, I had some leave to take, so I booked myself two nights accommodation down in Brechfa. I have to admit, looking at the weather last week - I was more than a little nervous - but the weather has been stunning!

I drove down yesterday - getting to Brechfa at 11:30 - just time to ride the blue and green trails. Decided to err on the side of caution as I'm on my own. The sky was blue - not a cloud to be seen - chilly - but well kitted for the temps. Got some good riding in - luvverly to be out on the bike!!

Then headed for my lodgings - at MudTrek. They have two "barns" - very pleasant. Hot shower - hot pasta - wood-burning stove - beer and a little red wine - and Nuns on the Run :)

This morning - clear skies - sunshine - hard frost. I'd arranged to head out with Jason, the resident guide. MudTrek is at 1000ft - so out of the door - and within minutes we're heading down some great trails - that just snake down into the valley. Some climbing - some singletrack.

There was some stunning scenery - and great riding

The route Jason planned meant we got into the Brechfa trails and finished with the best descent on the Black (remember those BIG berms Giles?) and the final, brilliant descent on the Red. BIG GRIN VALUE!! Down to the carpark at Abergorlech, where the Landy was waiting to ship us back to MudTrek HQ - Ruddy Luxury!!

And tomorrow morning, more of the same! Weather forecast is good - slightly warmer than the -1 when we set off today.

Fair play to you fella! (and yes, I do remember them berms!) Glad to here the weather's being kind to you and hope tomorrow is good for you too. We gotta do a beer sometime before Xmas ~ gimme a shout when you's back :)

i'm thinking about a mission to Wales next week, have ridden Brechfa with makster once, really liked it, cool place. :D

The black run at Brechfa (the Raven) had me literally screaming with joy when I rode it for the first time. Parts of it are simply brilliant, and well worth riding if you're there.

@ Reluctant - the Altura kit has been brilliant - top recommendation - cheers!
@ GrannyGrinder - on your doorstep - am I very jealous!
@ Russell - remember the singletrack where you go through the trees - over the ridge - that - then into the section with about 5 biggish berms - just superb! Then into the Red Route single track that snakes down the side of a hill - brilliant!
@jonnyboy666 - the Brechfa trails are riding really well. A few minor puddles.

Couldn't have wished for better riding - trails were crunchy - but not so icy as to be worrying. There were bits today that were just soooo good.

Pics will hopefully be uploaded tomorrow evening when I get home.

The Sub3 gets another outing in the morning - Jason is planning on showing me a few more trails :)

Carge":3lqooqdo said:
@ Reluctant - the Altura kit has been brilliant - top recommendation - cheers!
@ GrannyGrinder - on your doorstep - am I very jealous!
@ Russell - remember the singletrack where you go through the trees - over the ridge - that - then into the section with about 5 biggish berms - just superb! Then into the Red Route single track that snakes down the side of a hill - brilliant!
@jonnyboy666 - the Brechfa trails are riding really well. A few minor puddles.

Couldn't have wished for better riding - trails were crunchy - but not so icy as to be worrying. There were bits today that were just soooo good.

Pics will hopefully be uploaded tomorrow evening when I get home.

The Sub3 gets another outing in the morning - Jason is planning on showing me a few more trails :)

Get Jason to take you up the impossible climb. I'm pretty good on hills, but this one kicked my arse!!

makster":3561staj said:
Get Jason to take you up the impossible climb. I'm pretty good on hills, but this one kicked my arse!!

Is that the 2k climb up from the chapel - with a left hand bend early on?
Did it today - piece o'cake ;)

Carge":20a7dmll said:
makster":20a7dmll said:

Is that the 2k climb up from the chapel - with a left hand bend early on?
Did it today - piece o'cake ;)

I can't remember a chapel, but it was REALLY rocky/loose. It was steep, but it was picking a line through it that was the tricky part.
It was part of the ride where you start off near a massive dam, if that helps?
Nice people at Mud Trek!

Morning Makster,
Jason has told me about it - but we haven't been there. Saw some photos of it - but photos always make trails look flat.
And yes, very nice peeps. Nikki and Jason are good fun.

Looking VERY cold out this morning..... and extra windproof layer is on order.
I've been very impressed with my new kit - On-One Merino jersey and Altura Attack jacket and shorts.
I had a light On-One one merino base, with a thicker Merino long sleeve jersey - with the Altrua Jacket over the top - and was comfortable all day despite it not betting much over 4deg.

Back