rock shox reba 100mm fork??

gavinda

Senior Retro Guru
i bought my kona 2+2 about 2 months back and due to work and other shiz i've not been able to ride a lot. but whilst cleaning the shed today, i noticed that the fork looks shorter than i thought i thought it should be and sure enough the length of 'exposed travel' bit of the fork only measures 80mm, but the fork is supposed to be 100mm. is this wrong or am i ???

gavinda":q9k5m998 said:
i bought my kona 2+2 about 2 months back and due to work and other shiz i've not been able to ride a lot. but whilst cleaning the shed today, i noticed that the fork looks shorter than i thought i thought it should be and sure enough the length of 'exposed travel' bit of the fork only measures 80mm, but the fork is supposed to be 100mm. is this wrong or am i ???

Reba travel can be set by internal spacers.

Also if your negative spring has a much higher pressure than the positive then this will cause the fork to sag at rest.

was8v":2eh0k3se said:
gavinda":2eh0k3se said:

Reba travel can be set by internal spacers.

Also if your negative spring has a much higher pressure than the positive then this will cause the fork to sag at rest.
Yup

To check now much available travel you have remove all the air from the negative air chamber (turn the bike upside down to do this as a small amount of oil may pass through the valve if you don't flip the bike) & then flip the bike right side up & remove all the air from the positive chamber

Them pump the positive chamber back up to your normal pressure

Measure the amount of fork showing, if it's just over 80mm it's set at 80mm travel, just over 100mm and it's 100mm travel

If you have an 80mm travel fork you can remove the travel reduction spacer to get 100mm travel from your Reba (some Reba's go up to 120mm travel)

Nice one lads. Ill give it a shot in the next couple of days. Reading threads on mtbr.com suggests the same, plus that the fork may not yet be broken in.

Ill update this as soon as I know.

If this is the case, how to I retain full travel, yet set up the preload/sag for this fork?

If you've never changed the pressures they might have been wrong from the start, it's quite easy to get your self in a bit of a mess with the dual air setup. It's not unknown for air to slowly leak from the positive chamber to the negative chamber over a couple of rides and you end up with the symptoms you've described.

As the others have said, release all the negative pressure and see if the forks extend up to 100mm, then set the positive pressure followed by the negative pressure the same as the positive.

Regarding the sag you have to play around with pressures to find the right pressure for your weight/ riding style. It takes a while as you need to keep emptying the negative chamber, adjusting the positive and then setting the negative again. But once you've found the right pressure you won't need to go through the process again.

If they are band new I would recommend servicing the lowers sooner rather than later add rock shox often don't put much lube oil in them at the factory and you can end up damaging the fork . I've had two sets like this and others on our club have found the same.

Back