Rohloff

marker

Retro Guru
I have been tempted with a Rohloff hub for a while now and finally took the plunge a couple of weeks ago
The weight and cost have been covered on other threads so I will go right to the ride(that's what it's all about after all)
In gears 8 -14 this thing is fantastic!
Super smooth with great changing and silent running
Unfortunately in gears 1-7 it is nothing short of hidious
Noisy and VERY draggy to the point I almost turned round and went straight back to the car after the first climb
I struggled to stay with the group I was riding with and the noise was just unbearable
I could feel the hub grinding through the cranks too

I wanted to love this hub and there are heaps of people who rave about them but I can't wait to get it off the bike!

Rohloff have created an amazing 7 speed hub and ruined it by trying to squeeze 14 speeds from the concept

The reviews written about them say that they do need to run in, after which they loosen up. This can be anything up to 1500km.

Thanks for the replies
I read just about every article and review before buying so was aware of the running in and noise situation
The local bike shop guy here has just tried the hub and thinks it is louder than others he has ridden
Before I bought the hub it had done 500 k's on an electric bike and I am now wondering if this has caused an issue

Tips for you, From a Rohloff veteran;
It will quiet down a little as it gets broken in.
Learn to use the "shortest gear path gears" when using double reduction. They're 4 and 6, with 4 being the shortest.
Under drive the hub so 4th is your granny. I run 17t(hub) and 32t chainring.
It works like a charm.
Sorry for the non drive side photo.

d008095d.jpg

marker":35ls25nx said:
Before I bought the hub it had done 500 k's on an electric bike and I am now wondering if this has caused an issue

The torque characteristics of an electric motor could have damaged the lower 7 gears thus the drag and extra noise you are commenting on.

I’d be tempted to change the oil in the hub and see if that makes any noticeable difference

Thanks Trail head.
I am running 32-13 at the moment and will continue with that to keep the warrantee sound.
Andrewl, the hub was sent to our local importer for an oil change and arrived all ready to go.
I am not sure if the guy checked it over or rode it so will be contacting him to find out.
I hope this issue is sorted because when the hub is in the "good" gears it is awsome.

Did you change the axle plate yourself at all after sending it to pure sports? There are a couple of springs behind it which can get lost, if they are missing they can cause slippage in 1 -7...

marker":kw6zctus said:
Thanks Trail head.
I am running 32-13 at the moment and will continue with that to keep the warrantee sound.
Andrewl, the hub was sent to our local importer for an oil change and arrived all ready to go.
I am not sure if the guy checked it over or rode it so will be contacting him to find out.
I hope this issue is sorted because when the hub is in the "good" gears it is awsome.

I wouldn't worry about the unit being damaged by being on an electric bike previously. An electric front wheel would only make its life easier. You can't really damage the gears, they're protected by 9 nylon shear pins. The two little springs under the axle plate are related to shifting and couldn't be related to the problem you're describing. I'm very familiar with the resistance you are talking about, It's the downside of Rohloffs. These hubs are rated for use on a tandem, that's double the input force with double the weight it has to push along. If it's rated for tandem on that same ratio shouldn't it be able to handle a lower ratio with one rider? If you want to make the most of it, under driving is the way to do it. For a second opinion, contact Cycle Monkey in the USA. I've been under driving for 6yrs. last winter I had a shifting problem with the 5-6 gears. The problem was unrelated to being under driven according to Cycle Monkey who are the USA Rohloff service partner.
They replaced my 5yr old hub under warranty and they where the ones who recommended under driving 5yrs before.
Also, FYI- the gear mech inside a Rohloff cannot be serviced anywhere but the factory in Germany. All distributors can only exchange the gear mech inside to resolve problems.
What I'm saying here is eventually you'll find your way to where I am, gearing wise, or you'll be another guy who gave up on rohloffs too soon.
I fully understand if your skeptical about this advise, I encourage you to talk candidly with your distributor and Neil at Cycle Monkey about this. They'll likely tell you that "officially" it's not recommended but, they should also tell you about dozens of riders like me who under drive with no issues and that the 9 nylon shear pins would shear before under driving caused any damage. They'll also tell you that if it's lowest recommended ratio is rated for tandem, surely it can handle more for a single rider. BTW, I've never been able to shear them and I've been torturing mine for 6yrs now.
Cheers,

Back