Bianchi eros brake problems

mayaluciaas

Retro Newbie
I have a beautiful Bianchi eros with the original mirage components but having ridden it extensively, had it set up twice, toured with it and generally made sure it wasn't a fault of my strength or technique, I have come to the conclusion that the outward curve of the mirage brake levers means that my small hands cannot reach properly to brake. This has only been a dangerous problem when going down steeper hills but I am yet to see how it goes when braking in an emergency and having had to throw myself to the ground to stop sailing over busy junctions, don't really fancy giving it a try!
I've used veloce shaped levers like shimano 105 and that is fine because they shape in to the handlebar rather than curving away. Basically I want to change them and I want to know what people think about removing the original components and suggestions on what levers I could change to and is it worth it? It has an 8 speed set with triple rings but that is not a set up that I mind changing.
Thanks for any help!
Maya

As you have an all-Campag system it's not cheap or simple to swap to Shimano levers. The easiest is to change the handlebars. These will give the right reach allowing you to get your fingertips round the bars. Typically non-anatomic bars are easier, also try women-specific ones or randonneur type.

Just as a quick aside, you have flicked the little button (at the top of the blade) across on the levers? It is to open the lever wide to make wheel removal easy. If you forget to click it back it does make the lever blade point too far forward and hard to reach.

Back