People selling on stuff for more than you sold it to them...

wynne

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Apologies for the atrocious title.

I've never had a profit-making approach in my RB trades (and indeed more broadly in life). Quite often I'll even throw in a freebie when I sell things. That's my choice and I shouldn't get narked when I see someone making a profit from something I have sold to them. The market will find its level etc etc, but... it winds me up.

So, I'm wondering whether it is acceptable when I notice an instance of it to post to politely ask the seller whether the XT shifter they are selling for £50, for example, is the same one that I sold to them for £30? Or would that just be churlish? And would I care if it was churlish?

There, that's off my chest.

Rich

rich

i karma'd a set of pace rc36 forks a while ago and the guy on here said "yea perfect etc then listed them on ebay

was rather annoyed and though it was bad form

in my opinion yea if ur certain its ur bit ask them

I've never consciously sold stuff I bought on Retrobike for more than I paid for it. But I might have by mistake. But then I've also sold stuff for less. Depends how you equate it and honestly - how are you supposed to remember what you paid for it all?

Flipping it on straight afterwards is bad form I guess - but that's as far as it goes. But the free market goes I guess.

As someone pointed out to me when I was being ridiculously generous, its market forces, you sell for what you can get. Others will have no qualms about selling for a profit, if you didn't its your own fault and if your annoyed about it then it really is your own fault.

I'll still sell cheap and even karma stuff but thats because I dont care about making money on what for me is just my hobby. If someone is taking the piss then as long as people mention it, dont keep schtoom, eventually no one will trade with that person at all.

I've bought bikes from other RB members, and then split them and sold the bits to make a bit of cash. However I've also always told the seller of my intentions BEFORE he sells the bike to me, and I've always offered the price that they're asking for the bike. As far as I'm concerned, what I'm doing is fair enough and I don't particularly worry about or care if it offends a small group of RB members. I don't charge top dollar for the bits I sell. In fact, the vast majority of it is considerably less than "the going rate". As far as I'm concerned (apologies if this sounds a bit self-serving) people like me (there are others on the site) are doing future buyers a small favour by splitting bikes which might otherwise have stayed complete, and by making parts available which other members want for their bikes. My one 'rule' is that I won't buy a completely original, period correct bike, and then intentionally split it. Bikes like that should stay in one piece.

At the end of the day, if the seller isn't happy for me to split the bike, then they could simply have refused to sell it to me in the first place.

However, I think that what I've waffled on about above is different from people who buy a part for one price from a fellow member, and then intentionally try to flog it on for more. But even then, there's a difference between people who have been lucky in that they've bought something for a ridiculously low price, and people who've haggled the the seller down to a low price, and then bumped the price back up when they've come to sell it themselves.

People who intentionally sell items which they've received as karma are the ones who really annoy me :evil: :evil:

Which reminds me, I should really get in touch with slinky to see what he did with the LTS frame I gave him..!

On the rare occasions I sell some some retro stuff here it is usually because their need is greater than mine at the time - I ask for first refusal if they choose to sell it on (at the same price as I sold initially).

It engenders a better sense or spirit in which the initial trade was done.

It's a difficult one; I bought my other half's Chameleon from here for not much money and sold most of the stuff on it to get my money back, but I don't think I took the p*ss with the amount I sold stuff for.

I've bought stuff from eBay etc and moved it on for more than I paid for it by taking good pics, cleaning it and writing a proper description. But I've also lst money on stuff so it's properly evened out over time.

A guy I worked with in a bike shop uses to buy bikes off people for a bit more than the trade in offered and make a killing on splitting them. He never let hem know, which I thought was a bit shady. Being up front about it is fine because some people can't be bothered with the hassle of splitting bikes, which can be a PITA.

Flogging on karma stuff is just wrong. If its no good send it back or pass it on for free.

Yeah, that irritates me. Also, I always am honest when selling stuff and I've seen things surface that used to belong to me without thier price-dropping defect/issue mentioned. That is plain wrong. :x

SP

it is a case of taking a deep breath and moving on. :?

you sold the item for a price you were happy with or else for the most you could get for it perhaps. If there is someone who is able to make money out of it, then fair play to them - they were smarter/luckier/smarmier and no matter who you are., there is always someone who is endowed more than you in any one or more of those attributes.

in the end it's only money

schwinn

Mr ballbags you have clearly forgotten my mates period correct schwinn 4 banger which you stated to him would stay intact it was on here in bits two weeks later had he known it was going to be cannabalised he would have kept it

Back