Quick brake fluid question...

Whatleymeister

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just a quick one peeps, I am bleeding some xt discs that take mineral oil and the guy whose brakes they are has given me some Magura royal blood mineral oil. I guess this is the same thing and will be ok, right? Dont want to fcuk up his brakes!!

i'd stick with shimano myself.

they both run mineral oil but both say not to used anything but there own stuff, maybe because of sales but i'd rather be on the safe side.

He seems keen that I use it the mag oil, which does say on the front 'for use with hydraulic rim and disc brakes'. Nothing saying use only with magura :?

If he is happy I use it, I'm going to do it I think, even though I suggested he buy the £10 bleed kit for me to use!

My biggest concer is its blue not red like shimano mineral oil, the colour will clash!! :LOL:

when i was in the bike trade we had a pot that we collected to old oil in when bleeding, one for mineral and one for dot fluid, we noticed that shimano and magura oil separates, which suggests that it's a different weight, can't remember which was heavier though

Interesting. Other sites seem to suggest that you can use the mag oil in shimano brakes, but perhaps they mean one or the other. I am only bleeding and topping up so mixing might not be good.

Oh well, best tell him its not a good idea then. Balls, I want to get this done so I can get his bike out the dining room!!

Citeron / Peugeot mineral brake oil works fine too and is a hell of a lot cheaper than the " original" (badged up !) Oil. It's all the same stuff

Back