Disc brake advice needed!

Chairmanmo

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all. Looking for a bit of advice. I've had enough of the Avid Juicy 3s that came with my Specialized Rockhopper – I find them a total ballache to replace pads, bleed and generally setup. Power seems to be ok if you get it right but that's not easy to do. Anyone else have the same problem?

And what's the consensus for a good upgrade? The Shimano discs seem to get good reviews in general.

You've not mentioned budget or whether new or second hand. I can make 2 recommendations that I have recently fitted to 2 bikes as upgrades, on a lower budget you can't go far wrong with Shimano Deore M596 which I picked up new for £90 a set exc rotors. Nice brakes but outshone by the Hope Tech Evos (4 pot front, 2 pot rear) fitted to another bike - faultless performance but then they cost £224 a set new exc rotors. You pays your money...... I've no inclination to try Avids after trying Elixir 3's

I have the new SLX, almost the exact same as XT bar finish and a reach adjustment. Fanatastic brakes. Get them from Rose bikes for a bargain price.

Hopes aren't more expensive than XT in my part of the world....

SLX is still Shimano's best kept secret in terms of reliability and value for money. You could whack it on a really high end frame and it would still do it justice - in my opinion more so than XTR does - it shows you're smart.

SRAM brakes are just horrible. Don't understand why anyone buys them.

Thanks for all the replies. Pretty much confirmed what I'd been thinking – Avids are a bit sh!t, the new Deore are pretty good and if I can stretch to it, SLX would be worth the extra cash.

Much appreciated fellas. Just gotta rustle up the cash now...

As far as I can tell the new Deores have the same lever design as SLX and XT but use the older calliper design. Still by all accounts very good.

Back