what to do ...bought a stolen bike ....

mk21600

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all i recently bought a rockrider 9.1 frame off ebay anf spent the past two weeks building it up ..but the crazy thing i never checked undrerneath and swapped all my stuff over . Then yesterday took it to a bike shop to have the brakes bled and on sticking on tge car i noticed scratches underneath . When i got hone i turned it over and the scratches were deep and looking at it for a while realised that someone has scored off the bikes id number .

What should i do i left positive feedback already and a bit miffed .. I didnt pay mucj for the frame 100.00 inc pp but dont wanna lose money on it now.

Well, now you've posted it up on a public forum, It'd be pretty rich NOT to report it.

You know it's the right thing to do, otherwise you wouldn't have asked.

:(

You'd want it back if it were yours.

Positive feedback already left or not, you have rights, and eBay generally favours the buyer nowadays when there's a dispute.
Did you pay via PayPal? If you did you'll get your money back

I contacted ebay and told them and i contqcted the seller ..he offered a full refund if i return the frame and will cover my return postage . So will do that as i dont wanna be out of pocket.

Was just a bit miffed that this happened

Shawn

Get it sent back and make sure you get proof of posting via a traceable service so you know when he has received it. If you don get refund, chase eBay. As someone else said, they favour the buyer more than the seller so you'll get your money back but you may need to be patient.

Good luck.

I contacted ebay and told them and i contqcted the seller ..he offered a full refund if i return the frame and will cover my return postage . So will do that as i dont wanna be out of pocket.

Was just a bit miffed that this happened

Shawn

I wonder how difficult it would be for ebay to insist that all bikes sold, have a legible serial number?

Likewise, as responsible 2nd hand bicycle purchasers we should, as a community, insist upon the same for all sales on this site.

Serial number been filed off - can't sell here, simples.

JeRkY":fn0yhcoc said:
Not all my frames have serial numbers to start with though...

And therefore will have no sign of tampering or serial number removal either.

You may have paid for the frame but legally you don't own it. Having bought it in good faith you won't be guilty of of receiving stolen goods but I think that's based on you having a reasonable expectation that the sale was genuine. That's not really the case any more, so I think you should get the police involved.

Back