Modernising 'old' frame..

Osella

Senior Retro Guru
I know this is sacrilege to some, however..

I love speed, and have therefore found that there is no substitute for Disc brakes..;) I am therefore seriously considering 'upgrading' my 1997 Voodoo steelie and having a disc tab welded in while it's currently in the paint shop..

So my question is thus; if you have/had a pre-disc frame of not considerable rarity, would you be in favour of the idea of converting it to disc-compatibility for practicality and usability reasons, notwithstanding the fact that it will forever make it non-original..?
I am already committing the crime of having it custom painted after all, so one more little 'adjustment' shouldn't hurt.. right..? :? ;)

My argument is that, much like classic cars, there will always be those who maintain the originals in absolute period condition, so why shouldn't I have a little fun? ;)

What's the problem?
There are some on here that have forgotten that bikes are for riding and call them "builds".
If you're in for a respray, then why not get a disc tab? Much better than shitty old cantis...

Have a look at my Caldera in the Kona link below.

Effectively transformed a bike destined for retirement to a, for me, more practical bike.

Not looked back.

I'd do it too, if it means you keep on riding it.

I know this is retro bike and people like old stuff, but there is just modern stuff that is so much better, like disc brakes, tyres and suspension. I really don't miss the days of elastomers and the grinding of pads against your rims.

You can have both, these adapters are about 25quid..

20120408_124540.jpg

I'd still get a mount grazed on...those after market jobbies are a bit ugly in my opinion, and can be a pain when getting wheels in and out.

Yeah, I have a set of Hope C2's with the rear caliper similar to the above - and have considered the adapter option..
I think however as the bike is currently being sandblasted awaiting it's Acid Voodoo green paintwork:)P) it makes sense to have a mount added on. After all, then I CAN use V's/canti's etc whenever I need or Discs if not.

Essentially, I WILL be using this bike with discs, it's just whether I irrevocably alter it with a welding job or got the clunky & heavy adapter route.. I'm swayed more towards the braze-on tab anyway, just have to have it costed out! ;)

Do it. Modern bikes have different geometry, this is a much better alternative. At the end of the day (with respect) its not like you are sacrificing anything particularly boutique, you will probably add value to it.

For a good example check out this 1998 kona conversion, or the caldera mentioned above is also ace

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Strangely i had a voodoo erzulie in 2005 that i got sent off to have a discmount fitted and the v-mounts removed ..and hydrolic hose guides..should have left v-mounts on too, but hey....i also had mine done in acid green and with non original decals (like one on ebay at the moment) i had mine done by 'atlantic cycles, frame mods/paint etc etc , star works lancs ?

I just had to get the mount faced after as it sent vibs in th frame, but the rear stays were plenty strong enough and did'nt need a strengthtng bit

Back