is it normal...

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
... to hear the oil sloshing around in my forks? I just got them back from the LBS after they reduced the travel for me, and when I called them they said it was normal but I can't remember hearing it before I took them in? I can only hear it if I hold them in my hand and shake them. They're 2012 RS reba RL forks, if that helps...

thanks!

I would say normal.....when I had a pair of Reba's and did a 1st service according to instructions, certainly more oil was added

In the air chamber leg, there is probably some added oil there too just for lubrication sakes. That oil is "free to move" and may have replaced the original grease.

In each lower, there would also be a small amount of oil to help overcome the stanchion friction in the bushes. That oil is "free to move" and is usually not there in new forks - surprisingly.

In the damper leg, that should be rather full with oil and you would hear a distinctive "gushing" under heavy compression.

Pretty normal. It's even more noticeable on forks like 66's and Shivers that have loads of oil in them.

Back