new specialized roubaix negotiating

Marcus W

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have finally took the decision to buy a 2012 Specialized Roubaix Elite after having a couple of test rides.

This bike was £2000 but is now discounted everywhere to £1500.

I am after a discount and wondered whether anyone has had any luck / advice on who / how to get discount on such a bike and how much.

Has anyone got a discount from the Newbury Specialized store?

Most shops will match prices you've seen elsewhere if the bike is like for like and the discount isn't ridiculous. It's a 2012 bike so they'll be as keen to get rid of it as every other shop. I'd just tell them you've seen it £500 cheaper elsewhere. Like I say, they'll probably just match it, they won't say "OK, you can have £600 off it then" or something like that. They're not running a charity.

I think you may struggle to get much of a discount at a Spesh concept store, especially if the bike already has a few hundred quid off it. There's no harm in asking, if you don't ask, you don't get.

When I worked in a shop we were more likely to give you free stuff rather than a discount, especially if you were a new one off customer.

Just ask each shop what level of mark up they are on with Spech..(differs on how much the shop will have off them).....think top wack is 45%

So when we needed some cash flow knocking x amount off, not only got our money back to go on othergoods, but still some profit. :D

Tis why the big shops can discount more than some smaller shops.

You also need to ask yourself.... if the shop KNOWS it can sell for the price it wants to - or can afford to hang in there - that there is very little incentive to sell at something approaching cost.

Also - if anticipated sale price goes too low - then ( and this is what any smaller shop whose owner has half a brain will do ) then you just strip the bike and use the parts for workshop spares and sell the frame for what you get for it. I think this is going to happen to a lot of the 26" excess stock this year.

You can get cash back via Quidco

For example at cycle surgery (first specialized dealer that came to mind) are on there with 5% cash back.

Beware, cashback is not guaranteed (read about quidco on the site.) It does work, I have in the past few months spent quite a bit of money using the forwarding links from the site and have not yet been declined for cashback, but it can happen.

Back