Fork options for a Y2K Stumpy?

Dossa

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Need some forks for my 2000 Stumpy M2 frame but not got much of a clue as to which ones to go for..... :oops:

Would need a 1 1/8" fitment with a 190mm steerer and want the forks to be from 2000-2003ish but have no real idea as to recognising which forks are from that era or amount of travel etc.

Prices seem to vary drastically on ebay which adds to the confusion somewhat!

Any suitable choices or advice would be great :D

Cheers,

Matty

Manitous are probably period correct and would be cheapest, else I would try for a pair of 80m bombers from aruond that era.

SID's would be period correct but flex like no mans business. I'd go for some short travel bombers, expensive for their age but work well and are easy to DIY service. Parts are still available fairly easily too.

I'd say no more than 80mm travel on that. Man-o-Poo is period correct, would have been specced by Specialized around that time and they're cheap if you shop around. Got a pair on my '98 Stumper, it's not the greatest fork, but fine for pootling. Better performance for more money by going for Marzocchi or Rockshox (Judy/Sid)

Stumpy with Manitou SX

P1020330.jpg

What colour is the frame? Manitou SX's came in blue, red, yellow, orange and black from 1999-00 so you'd be in good chance of a colour match. Sid's you could prob get in red, blue or black and bombers (which I'd recommend) came in all sorts of crazy shades, I've got a metallic lime green, a burnt orange, a dark blue and a whitey-silver set. That being said, the Z2's which are 80mm are the lime green ones. Keep an eye on Ebay and you might be able to pick up a pair for around £40-50.

markwashington":2ck0p172 said:
What colour is the frame? Manitou SX's came in blue, red, yellow, orange and black from 1999-00 so you'd be in good chance of a colour match. Sid's you could prob get in red, blue or black and bombers (which I'd recommend) came in all sorts of crazy shades, I've got a metallic lime green, a burnt orange, a dark blue and a whitey-silver set. That being said, the Z2's which are 80mm are the lime green ones. Keep an eye on Ebay and you might be able to pick up a pair for around £40-50.

Cheers for the info, chaps.........

Frame is gloss black and red:

p1070909q.jpg

Vanity dictates that the forks must be black and after trawling the t'internet I reckon a pair of Bombers will do the trick!

Seen a couple which would be a good match for the frame I hope - now just to bid and win :D

Back