Damaged Zaskar Frame.. Help!

fish face

Retro Newbie
Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice before I buy..

The Bottle cage boss was forcefully removed from this frame, can it be repaired of is the frame damage beyond repair..?

Thanks in advance. :D

Attachments

• GT.jpg
    GT.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 641
I agree. Doesnt look up to much.
Been left out in the rain?
Would probably fold in and snap if you tired to 'flatten' that top rivet hole. Second needs replacing also.

depends on price.

push a seatpost down (one that is a about 0.5mm less than correct size so it can be pulled out again) and tap the sides of the hole with a drift so it is flat. If the hole is not too big, then a new rivnut can be fitted.

Have a chat with your local aluminium welder.

If you're getting the frame for next to dough-nut, it might be worth a try.

if you are in need of prefessional fixing, then that would make it uneconomical - unless it is a rare and valuable or sentimental frame, it is probabably better to leave it and wait for another one to pop up.

You can replace the rivet nut with a slightly bigger one but you need the tool to do it, this is called a nut cert tool, most car body shops use these all the time, rivet nuts are used a lot on VW's and Audi's, the only problem with using a larger rivet nut is the thread size will be bigger so the new bolt may not fit a bottle cage if you decide to fit one. To tap the alloy down on the frame you should only work aluminum @ 111 degrees Celsius that is the correct temperature for the metal to become workable without stretching it.

I would leave it alone and maybe look for another frame, I would only carry out a repair like this on something very rare :D :D

Back