1998 Marin team downhill rear shock spring ? help

mrpedigree

Retro Guru
Guys i bought a 1998 team Marin DH ,i was just wondering if i would need a different spring rate as i am 6ft1 and weigh about 16+ stone ,is the one fitted to my Marin up to it and if not what would i need to looks for ,anyone help,the fox vanilla tc fitted seems to be working fine,but is that spring designed for such a well built handsome man ? :LOL:

Need to know what weight spring you're currently running mate, it should be printed on the side of the spring somewhere. I have one knocking around in my spares box that I know will fit your Marin, will get back to you tomorrow with what weight it is, if its of use to you you can have it for Karma (just cover postage) ;)

retrocomeback":1im7fv7x said:
Need to know what weight spring you're currently running mate, it should be printed on the side of the spring somewhere. I have one knocking around in my spares box that I know will fit your Marin, will get back to you tomorrow with what weight it is, if its of use to you you can have it for Karma (just cover postage) ;)
Thanks very much mate,i can do that and give you a little drink on top ,your a true gent ,heres a pic of my spring below ,i got it tightened up a bit ,is it not right for my weight ??
P1080255.jpg

retrocomeback":3u8jgmf7 said:
Input your details here http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx to work out exactly what you want/need. I reckon around a 500 would be right for you in my humble opinion. Fingers crossed that the one lurking in my spares box is in that ballpark!
I tried that link ..put my weight in etc cant make head nor tale of it :?
As long as that spring you got is for a fatter c*nt anyway i will still have it :LOL:

What you need to do is

Measure from the centre to centre of the points where your shock mounts the frame. This is what is known as the i2i measurement
I'm guessing that yours will measure 190mm

Then. You need to know the stroke of the shock.
This is done by measuring the silver shaft piece that sits inside the spring( the bit that disappears when the shock is compressed)
I'm guessing that this is 50mm on yours

Them you need to know whether your bike is a single pivot design ala orange/ marins/Santa cruz or whether its a 4 bar linkage design ala specialized/intense/clubroost etc

With these bits of info and your weight, you can find out what weight spring you'd need for your Marin.

You also need to know which spring width you need. Older fox shocks like yours used a narrower diameter spring and shock. Whereas new shocks ie 04> used a bigger diameter. Make sure you get the right one or it won't fit your shock

Have a read of the tftuned website regarding this and the markings on certain brand springs as it will help you in the future.

Putting in these details myself (if they are correct and your frame having 4" rear travel then the outcome reads that you need a 489lb spring. So it makes sense to buy a 500lb one.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... goryID=684
Try here. Nuke proof do both normal and oversized springs. Make sure that you go for non oversized(all manitou/rockshox/ti springs and instead choose nuke proof standard size. The only one I could see on the close to the size you need is a 500x2.25. Measure the distance from near the end of your threads on the shock to where the spring sits at the other end to see if it will fit though

Hope this helps
Gary

THanks for you imput guys,i have been on the phone to a company called mojo suspension,they had me take the shock of measure the shaft and give the spring rate thats on there details and its seems i need a 700 spring for my weight ,cost me £48 posted so not to bad :) ,but thanks again for your help guys ;)

Mate. You could have got that spring from the link I posted for £19.99
Mojo are known to be expensive

sex one":l8nyg8k0 said:
Mate. You could have got that spring from the link I posted for £19.99
Mojo are known to be expensive
my fault
The spring i need is 700x2.3 in the smaller/older diameter ? should i cancel and try that link ?

Latest posts

Back