If I catch someone nicking my bike....?

Yog Sothoth

Retro Guru
...how much erm...force am I allowed to use? ;)

I know that I can beat or stab a burglar to protect the safety of myself, family or property, but what about my mobile property, ie. my bikes?

Is it OK to come up behind and batter them with a length of scaffold pole, or do they have to attack me first? Can I even use a scaffold pole?! Hitting with fists is really painful! :?

Having had a bike stolen, and experiencing the red mist as I prowled the streets looking for the thief, I doubt I'd be restrained, even though I'm a mild-mannered man, and I'd either end up getting hurt, or badly hurting the thief. Is 'hunting' the thief even allowed, if you then use force to recover your bike? :twisted:

I would definitely use force, nothing that would cause permanent physical damage though. But you are right that you may end up being the one who gets hurt.

Use your best judgment....

If they were riding it, I would stick something int he front spokes......

.... although depending what it was, would be a factor in how much I/they got hurt :shock:

:LOL:

G

Having had one nicked recently also...

You aren't allowed to carry a weapon around (ie scaffolding pole) though if you had for example a D-lock on you (in case you found your bike).

'Well officer I found them stealing my back/found my stolen bike, he went to hit me and I defended myself. Just happened to have half a kilo of steel in my hand. I'm sure they can reset his jaw and make some false teeth up... ' :LOL:

your not allowed per se to carry a specific weapon but you never know if you wallop someone with say a bike pump t may hurt... quite a bit if you have the right pump!

i.e a nice retro brass one!

The law states you can use "reasonable force"

Example, if you catch them at it and a struggle ensues and they get hurt then that maybe reasonable.

If say you see them and then pick up a metal bar you have to explain you took it for defence

If you took an axe it would likely be not accepted as reasonable

The other option is to bury them under the patio so problem solved :LOL:

You can use whatever force is reasonable in the circumstances to protect your property.

Is it reasonable to smash a granny round the head with a d lock as she steals your bike? Probably not. If she pointed a gun at you? Probably yes.

Not to say you couldn't be arrested to investigate your actions of course.

the_duke":1wtjb1vb said:
You can use whatever force is reasonable in the circumstances to protect your property.

Is it reasonable to smash a granny round the head with a d lock as she steals your bike? Probably not. If she pointed a gun at you? Probably yes.

Not to say you couldn't be arrested to investigate your actions of course.

Gun carrying grannys? :shock: What part of Bristol do you live in?

I think a vintage 450mm Syncros would be appropriate under the circumstances. You could either swing it or insert it(or both), to deter the would be thief.

Attachments

• large_SyncrosSttze.jpg
    large_SyncrosSttze.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 881
Back