anyone tried to prise seals off sealed bearings?

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
and if you did it without damage to the seal, how easy was it and how did you do it?

I am refererring to step 8 and 9 here

use a scalpel blade and its pretty easy. just take your time and try not to lever the whole seal off in on go, work round the edges.

I use a small needle and run it under the inner seal lip(next to the bit that spins) a little leverage and they just pop out,

I use a stanley, jam it in the outer edge (as parallel with the seal as you can get it) and prise it up. They can be a bugger to flush trhough at times though.
BB30 service is it?

Done it on all sort of sizes.

I use a blunt thin pin to start it off normally.
Sharp pins can put a hole in the edge of the seals.

yep - you guessed it BB30 bearing are lumped - I reckon they're toast but will attempt to revive.

will have a go on Sat when it is light, too dark in garage to mess around.

with the above tips its pretty straignt forwrd, done it to loads of sizes of bearings, including BB30
(not a fan of the BB30 concept though)
also, grease the frame, grease the bearing faces where they contact the axle etc
should eliminate clicks

Not sure why SRAM revived bb30 for mtb really should have stayed in the past, nothing but problems.

I use seal picks not these in particular but similar ones that cost the same price a few years back. Handy for allsorts of little faffy jobs.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
i have a new set of them bearings you can have if you want em, they have a bit of surface corrosion where i left my nuts and bolts tin out in the rain, but they are essentially new. would brillo off if you were fussed.

Back