Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

1998 Marin Team down hill factory bike pictures ?
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=226358

Author:  mrpedigree [ Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:12 pm ]
Post subject:  1998 Marin Team down hill factory bike pictures ?

Guys i bought a 1998 team down hill today,can someone post some of the catalogue pics of it or or where i can find any ?? i cant seem to find any via google ? :(
Heres the one i bought
Image

Author:  mrpedigree [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:48 am ]
Post subject: 

Is there not any original pictures out there of this bike from the catalogue or mags of time ??
ANYONE HELP MARIN GUYS ?? PLS :(

Author:  boxxer [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:03 am ]
Post subject: 

As raced by Dave Hemming....

Lots of pics in some of the MBUK's from that era (chucked mine out years ago...)

We're the first of the John Whyte designed bikes (before he did his own)

Same design as the b17 of that era just a better spec and less of them around...

Author:  RobMac [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:12 am ]
Post subject: 

How close is say a Mount Vision main frame to one of these?

Author:  mrpedigree [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:27 am ]
Post subject: 

boxxer wrote:
As raced by Dave Hemming....

Lots of pics in some of the MBUK's from that era (chucked mine out years ago...)

We're the first of the John Whyte designed bikes (before he did his own)

Same design as the b17 of that era just a better spec and less of them around...

I had one new back in the day,it cost a small fortune ,i swapped my GT Lobo for it ,was a much better bike than my Lobo ,Bet like me you wished you kept it now,mint ones make good dough at the mo :)
I am just am gonna keep it as a fun bike ,with that spec they ride awesome .
RobMac wrote:
How close is say a Mount Vision main frame to one of these?

Not sure .i think they are the same ?
The forks are fcuking awesome on it ,just after some original pictures of them and write ups..cant find anything ,surley someone somewhere has the catalogue for 1998 ||

Author:  retrocomeback [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:46 am ]
Post subject: 

RobMac wrote:
How close is say a Mount Vision main frame to one of these?


I worked at a Marin dealer BITD, I'm confident enough to say theyre practically identical. I know of one guy who bought a Mount Vision, and sometime later having discovered DH he opted to simply replace the rear shock with a longer stroke model, thereby giving him the increase from 4" to 6" rear travel. It survived as well as if not better than some B17's and DH FRS's!

Author:  retrocomeback [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:51 am ]
Post subject: 

mrpedigree wrote:
Is there not any original pictures out there of this bike from the catalogue or mags of time ??
ANYONE HELP MARIN GUYS ?? PLS :(


At the Marin Dealer I worked at BITD the majority of these bikes were sold as the DH FRS frame set and then custom built to the customers specs. I'd put money on complete original Team DH bikes being rarer than hens teeth! Great find by the way :wink:

Author:  Chute55uk [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:06 am ]
Post subject: 

retrocomeback wrote:
mrpedigree wrote:
Is there not any original pictures out there of this bike from the catalogue or mags of time ??
ANYONE HELP MARIN GUYS ?? PLS :(


At the Marin Dealer I worked at BITD the majority of these bikes were sold as the DH FRS frame set and then custom built to the customers specs. I'd put money on complete original Team DH bikes being rarer than hens teeth! Great find by the way :wink:

wow thats nice
i seem to remember these being frameset only from the importers.
what did you pay for it? (go on make me cry)

Author:  garystephen2012 [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

Your bike really looks so good and i like the color of it and how long have you been using this bike.

Author:  RobMac [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

retrocomeback wrote:
RobMac wrote:
How close is say a Mount Vision main frame to one of these?


I worked at a Marin dealer BITD, I'm confident enough to say theyre practically identical. I know of one guy who bought a Mount Vision, and sometime later having discovered DH he opted to simply replace the rear shock with a longer stroke model, thereby giving him the increase from 4" to 6" rear travel. It survived as well as if not better than some B17's and DH FRS's!



That's interesting thanks :wink:

Author:  mrpedigree [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

retrocomeback wrote:
mrpedigree wrote:
Is there not any original pictures out there of this bike from the catalogue or mags of time ??
ANYONE HELP MARIN GUYS ?? PLS :(


At the Marin Dealer I worked at BITD the majority of these bikes were sold as the DH FRS frame set and then custom built to the customers specs. I'd put money on complete original Team DH bikes being rarer than hens teeth! Great find by the way :wink:

That rings true because when i wanted the factory Team downhill from the Marin catalogue ,But Noahs Ark the shop that i was wanting to buy it from said they could get me the frame set called DH FRS and build it up but not the full team Downhill as that was import only !?
In the end they managed to order me one and it took 4 weeks to come ,it cost near three grand i recall back then :)

Author:  mrpedigree [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

Chute55uk wrote:
wow thats nice
i seem to remember these being frameset only from the importers.
what did you pay for it? (go on make me cry)

The guys wanted 550 for it but i manged to get it for 260 as i am a bit of a haggler (in the motor trade) and it needed to tyres as the original had perished with the passage of time ,its the proper full Team Downhill spec,with oversized hope big unns hubs /white industries crank and not the jap one but the proper USA machined type crank ,its got the manitou answer x vert triple clamp forks that on there own cost like 1300 , thought it was cheap for 260 ,i see b17s an mouth visions making more than that and their not half the bike or as rare,it was my grail ,so glad i found it ,it wont get hurt with me,just gonna use it as a cruzer to the shops ,here some more pics of it :)
Image
Image
Image

Author:  boxxer [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

Watch for cracks, my B17 went in 4 places around the cross brace...

The proper 97 DH team was the same as the Manitou FS of the time... The monoshock under the top tube job....

The 99 was a monocoque frame (mate had one) which was a beast but very heavy....

Author:  mrpedigree [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

boxxer wrote:
Watch for cracks, my B17 went in 4 places around the cross brace...

The proper 97 DH team was the same as the Manitou FS of the time... The monoshock under the top tube job....

The 99 was a monocoque frame (mate had one) which was a beast but very heavy....

This is a proper factory 1998 Team DH bike, if memory serves me correct these bikes was the first bikes labeled Team DH , they came out in the 1998 cause as soon as i seen it i ordered one and that was in spring 1998 , i sold my GT lobo 1997 get it....i dont think marin did a team DH in 1997 like you said did they ?

If i remember didnt the B17s/mount visions frame break cause of the limited travel with the rear shocks that were fitted ? (shockworks) ,didnt the shock up grade stop this ?
The b17 was just a budget version of a DH bike it only cost a 1100 new i recall , the forks cost more on a Team Downhill than it did to buy a complete B17 bike :lol:

Author:  boxxer [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

B17 was £2K new, I paid £1200 for mine at the end of 97

If you look in the archive on here, search under Marin you'll see the 97 catalogue and DH team.....

I know as I have the Cat at home and Andrew Shandrow was the team rider featured..

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... H.jpg.html

Exactly the same as the Manitou frames of that era just a different shock...

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1996_Manitou_FS.html

Author:  mrpedigree [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

boxxer wrote:
B17 was £2K new, I paid £1200 for mine at the end of 97

If you look in the archive on here, search under Marin you'll see the 97 catalogue and DH team.....

I know as I have the Cat at home and Andrew Shandrow was the team rider featured..

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... H.jpg.html

Exactly the same as the Manitou frames of that era just a different shock...

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1996_Manitou_FS.html

I remember them now,more like an XC those tho i thought .
BTW way your wrong ,The first B17s in red and white was never £2000 new,i know because my younger brother creamed his pants for one and as soon as it was released bought one, it was £1200 new :wink:

Author:  mrpedigree [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Is there any prints of the 1998 Marin Catalogue with the B17 and team down hill in ??
Cant find anything anywhere :x

Author:  retrocomeback [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

The B17 and the other single pivot Marin DH bikes of that design were definitely first introduced in 1998 as they all featured the beefier MK2 rear swingarm.

Author:  mrpedigree [ Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

retrocomeback wrote:
The B17 and the other single pivot Marin DH bikes of that design were definitely first introduced in 1998 as they all featured the beefier MK2 rear swingarm.
That what i was telling Boxxer ,there was no way he bought a B17 in 1997 nor gave two grand for one :lol:

Author:  John [ Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:09 am ]
Post subject: 

Tidied this one up.

Fine Marin, often wondered why they don't get much respect.

Can't find a 98 Marin catalogue, if someone has one and can scan it in would be a great addition to the archive.

Author:  mrpedigree [ Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:20 am ]
Post subject: 

Thanks for that John,
I always formed the opinion that what put alot of people off Marins is that you could always seem to buy a same spec bike from a different manufacture for less money, most people always thought them over priced !?
I
This now must be a rare bike tho ,as someone else said very few was sold as a complete bike ,plus cant find one pic or bit of info anywhere online :(

Author:  mrpedigree [ Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

Few more pics ,i put some better tyres on her to day,i think these pics on this thread that are mine on the retroBike forum,are the only ones of a Marin team downhill 1998 on the net :o
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Author:  jamabikes [ Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:24 am ]
Post subject: 

like it 8)

are the tyres the tioga copies hellfrauds sell? if so how do they ride if you've tested em yet?

Author:  mrpedigree [ Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:21 am ]
Post subject: 

jamabikes wrote:
like it 8)

are the tyres the tioga copies hellfrauds sell? if so how do they ride if you've tested em yet?

Your right mate thats where i got them,dont know if they are copied or not !?

It did have the originals on there but they had perished with the passage of time ,so i put some continentals on there but took them off and changed them for these slightly bigger(26x2.3 ) puncher resistant ones,they cost 25 quid each but it was three for two so i got a spare in me shed :D
It rides real good on them,but i ent had time to really go anywhere on it yet,looks good tho :)

Author:  mrpedigree [ Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

Tracking information down anything about this bike seems to be near impossible ,dont anyone know ho to go about finding out anything about it or where to find a catalogue from that year ?
Would Marin have any info about it ?

Author:  retrocomeback [ Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

A company called ATB Sales is the people you need to speak to, they're the importers/distributors in the UK and used to run the UK DH Team on the bikes of this era, as ridden by James Allaway, Dave Hemming and Stefan Gleed.

Author:  coomber [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 am ]
Post subject: 

Had the same bike briefly with single crowns, but mine was labelled DH FRS. I have pics somewhere if you search readers bike 1998+

Sold mine on again as it was purchased on a whim, but I would like another if I could find it cheap enough. Mine had the original shockworks rear shock which was pretty basic, and factoring in a new shock and disc brakes (and therefore wheels) I thought it not really feasible for a cheap project.

Yours looks real nice though.

Author:  mrpedigree [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

coomber wrote:
Had the same bike briefly with single crowns, but mine was labelled DH FRS. I have pics somewhere if you search readers bike 1998+

Sold mine on again as it was purchased on a whim, but I would like another if I could find it cheap enough. Mine had the original shockworks rear shock which was pretty basic, and factoring in a new shock and disc brakes (and therefore wheels) I thought it not really feasible for a cheap project.

Yours looks real nice though.
I have seen your bike thread as its one of a few threads out there regarding the frame that you had , from what i can gather tho what you had was the frame only they offered so people who wanted to race could build one up on a budget/spec they wanted .
The team DH however was different beast , a factory built race bike that had all the top end spec,hope big un hubs front and rear with mavic 521 D rims ,hope disc brakes front and rear,full xt,proper usa white industries cranks,crank chain guard mech/wheels,Triple clamp forks that cost 1300 quid alone,i was told by someone that very few was imported as a full team bike because of the cost ,anyhow i knew most of this from memory as i had one ,but what i am after is some original marin catalogue pics or press releases ?
I wouldnt sell this now ,i have did not think i would ever see another one again,especially as mint as this ether ,i was lucky to get it and it was cheap as i think it world break to more than the 260 i gave for her :)

Author:  mrpedigree [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

retrocomeback wrote:
A company called ATB Sales is the people you need to speak to, they're the importers/distributors in the UK and used to run the UK DH Team on the bikes of this era, as ridden by James Allaway, Dave Hemming and Stefan Gleed.

ATB came through ,Debbie over there sent me this pic via he i-phone for the time being but later shes gonna scan it properly for me and email me it ,whic was nice of me thinks 8)

Image

Author:  coomber [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

The brake bosses really bug me. It's their top of the range DH team bike, and is running discs. Why would they need the v brake bosses? And if leaving them on, why not use blanking bolts to stop them looking so ugly?

Author:  mrpedigree [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

coomber wrote:
The brake bosses really bug me. It's their top of the range DH team bike, and is running discs. Why would they need the v brake bosses? And if leaving them on, why not use blanking bolts to stop them looking so ugly?
I think mine has blanking bolts ?
Dont know about the picture tho ,just laziness i suppose ,i was i was told that very few of theses teams was sold/made, so maybe the bollock ache to not have them fitted or removing them was not justified on such a low production run maybe !?
My production bike has the blanking bolts tho .
I asked her to send me ,the pic from the back of the catalogue that has the team fitted with the sing crank and chain device

Author:  mrpedigree [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

Heres a better scan of that catalogue ,thanks to Debbie at ATB;)

Image

Author:  carter711 [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

What's going on with the granny's saddle?! :lol:

I had a set of these forks a while ago, nice bike mate.

Author:  mrpedigree [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

carter711 wrote:
What's going on with the granny's saddle?! :lol:

I had a set of these forks a while ago, nice bike mate.
:oops: emm
its just in case the mrs rides it ...gods honor ...straight up :lol:

Author:  retrocomeback [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

Reading that catalogue page I'm now curious as to how the main frame is "downhill spec" exactly, it's either some serious artistic license or there are actually some under the skin differences on this and the DH FRS frames after all?

Anyway, I'm glad Debs at ATB could help you buddy :D

Author:  mrpedigree [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

retrocomeback wrote:
Reading that catalogue page I'm now curious as to how the main frame is "downhill spec" exactly, it's either some serious artistic license or there are actually some under the skin differences on this and the DH FRS frames after all?

Anyway, I'm glad Debs at ATB could help you buddy :D
When i bought mine back in 1998 it to was fitted with a solid single front chain-ring and chain device made by coyote i think it was called ?, it came with the the front xtr mech, xt changer,and three chain rings in a bag which i decided would be better fitted for how i was gonna ride it so i had it put on.

As for the difference in rear travel between the frame and the Team bike ,i don't know if there is any difference or not !?
We know the team bike comes with 6 and a half inches of travel at the rear,wasn't the rest of the range was 6 ?? maybe it was the fox shock gave a bit more ?

Author:  Jordrossell [ Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have the front and rear frame sections for one of these, I've just had them powder coated but need new pivot bolts and the main pivot, anyone know where to get them???

Author:  mrpedigree [ Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jordrossell wrote:
I have the front and rear frame sections for one of these, I've just had them powder coated but need new pivot bolts and the main pivot, anyone know where to get them???

What frame is it and what model ?
I have some spares from a b17 FRS/mount vision ? If you pay for postage you can have the pins for free ,i will get the mrs to post them ,but these pins are different than whats on my Team DownHill frame for some reason.

Author:  DunX [ Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1998 Marin Team down hill factory bike pictures ?

I was sponsored by Marin at this time! great bike :-)

Attachments:
File comment: very old photo!
race5.jpg
race5.jpg [ 48.69 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]

Author:  DunX [ Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1998 Marin Team down hill factory bike pictures ?

another...

Attachments:
race2.jpg
race2.jpg [ 43.33 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]

Author:  DunX [ Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1998 Marin Team down hill factory bike pictures ?

I also raced the mount vision pro think these are nambs or nemba!

Hope i havent bored you but they were good times!

Attachments:
nambs mag.jpg
nambs mag.jpg [ 89.1 KiB | Viewed 552 times ]
nambs.jpg
nambs.jpg [ 84.64 KiB | Viewed 552 times ]
nambs 2.jpg
nambs 2.jpg [ 92.8 KiB | Viewed 552 times ]

Author:  coomber [ Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1998 Marin Team down hill factory bike pictures ?

Great pictures!

Author:  mrpedigree [ Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1998 Marin Team down hill factory bike pictures ?

DunX wrote:
I also raced the mount vision pro think these are nambs or nemba!

Hope i havent bored you but they were good times!

What Model was the first picture mate ?

Author:  DunX [ Wed May 01, 2013 9:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 1998 Marin Team down hill factory bike pictures ?

Its the first team DH that came to the UK (team bike) and the xvert ti carbons came 3 months later as the werent in production when i got the bike (I added them later) the forks are the standard xverts. but all spec as in the catalouge. I sold it eventually and the guy painted it black and red!

Cheers

Dunx

Author:  mrpedigree [ Wed May 01, 2013 12:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1998 Marin Team down hill factory bike pictures ?

DunX wrote:
Its the first team DH that came to the UK (team bike) and the xvert ti carbons came 3 months later as the werent in production when i got the bike (I added them later) the forks are the standard xverts. but all spec as in the catalouge. I sold it eventually and the guy painted it black and red!

Cheers

Dunx

Some guy stopped me on my team DH just the other and asked if £400 would buy it , i said i would rather keep it just to look at for that :lol: ...i just love the way this model rode , back in the i got rid of my 1997 plastic GT STS for a team DH as i was always breaking the shock on the GT , the marin was a much better made bike and to ride .
Thanks for the info/pics mate .

All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/