Single Chainset questions

kokomo

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys I am after a few pointers regarding my single chain set set, but firstly please accept my apologise if this topic has been exhausted already, I did do a search and found nothing that really answered my questions, maybe if someone has a linky that is a bit like an idiots guide to the subject I’d appreciate it :D .

Right brought the bike yesterday and went for an exhausting 28 mile test ride to test the water, woke up this morning feeling like I have never ridden a bike in my life...lol...I know I am not the fittest of people but I am not unfit if you know what I mean :D .

The bike has been fitted with a single chain set 42 teeth at the front end with a cassette with 32 at the back being the largest going down to 11 being the smallest, sorry if I am talking simple, but in past just been a leisure rider and now the kids have got older and they want Dad to do all these wonderful tracks and trials I felt a little out of my depth with this gearing so need to look into this a bit more technically.

So I have a Dotek YF Pro 6 crank with 43 teeth running a 32x11 cassette at the back = my legs feel like lead this morning :D .

Feedback really appreciated and pointers even more so.

Picture below

Attachments

• 2012-10-21 12.38.04.jpg
    2012-10-21 12.38.04.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 586
What do you actually want to achieve?
Easier gearing? Get a smaller chainring. The pcd (pitch circle diameter, distance around the bolts) looks quite large though.
If you cant find a ring suitable you can get different cranks. Maybe then you can go 3 rng if you wanted? But you would then also need a front mech and shifter too. Shouldnt be a massive offset cost though.

If you are to go 3 ring, jump on these real quick:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=85963

And to measure pcd if staying single ring:
http://www.bbgbashguard.com/tech.html

Thanks for the links and pointers, I guess I am trying to
find a happy medium something a little easier while not
compromising what I intend using the bike for i.e.
cross country and trails

http://chasetrails.co.uk/xc.php

just had a quick look at the chain set and I see what
you mean about it looking large. I am quite happy
with the single chain set set up but I just feel its
does need to be a little easier on my pegs (legs)
if you know what I mean.

If I am able to get something like a single 34 / 32 front
ring would you say this would noticably improve my
gearing?

Yeah i run a 36t. It should suit a lot of riding as it sits in between the average middle and big ring.

Cheers mate really appreciate the advice, if you
ever need advice on plumbing/boilers drop me a
PM :D

Ditch the 42T

If you're getting back into it from years off - just fit a 34T.... Will be cushty.

You need to check the bolt circle diameter on the cranks to determine the smallest chainring you can fit. These look like 130mm BCD so smallest you can fit is 39 teeth, or 34 if they are 110mm.

Cheers guys really appreciate the help...I am going
to try and explain myself and I hope make sense :?
1st measurement taken was from where the chain ring
sits in the crank (hope that made sense) this measured
110mm, 2nd measurement taken was from the inside
of the chain ring and this measured 130mm.

So what do I have a 110mm or 130mm or am I missing
something here...sorry guys :oops:

Latest posts

Back