SRAM v Shimano cassettes

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This may have been on here before but search did not reveal anything.

I'm about to change my XT 9 speed cassette and chain and was wondering whether to go SRAM or stick with Shimano. Whats the general opinion?

Alison

Isaac_AG":3ul669dp said:
This may have been on here before but search did not reveal anything.

I'm about to change my XT 9 speed cassette and chain and was wondering whether to go SRAM or stick with Shimano. Whats the general opinion?

Alison

I ride both but i find the XT one runs smoother with a SRAM chain.

My choice though, others may disagree.

Carl :)

There's a perception that Sram cassettes don't last as well, but my PG979 lasted ages.

I do think that Shimano cassettes are slightly smoother shifting though and always use a Sram chain because of the power link.

I'd buy another XT is I were you.

SiRvInO":10gdr1pz said:
Deffo Shimano gears, Wipperman or KMC chains...Dont buy Sram anything!!

:LOL:

I've never used KMC chains, but all ofy Sram ones have been great and far superior to the chains that Shimano make from cheese!

But then again, I really like Sram stuff and always use their mechs and shifters (cranks are grim though).

can't say I notice any difference in shifting - both do well - SRAM has nice coloured alloy spiders but Shimano are cheaper and lighter for equivalant SRAM. .... so I vote Shimanananananooooooo!

I've got a KMC chain with a shimano cassette on one bike, a shimano chain with a SRAM cassette on another and some other combination involving shimano on another. Different shifters on all of them. They all work extremely well.

Sorry - this hasn't helped at all has it :oops: :?

Back