Which is better? 1999 S-Works or 2008 Rockhopper Comp?

Chairmanmo

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello RBers. Wondered if anyone could help me with a dilemma I'm having..

I have a 1999 S-Works (frame and parts bought off here and built up closeish to original spec) and a 2008 Rockhopper Comp (pretty much stock with a few minor upgrades) and one of them probably has to go. But which one?

Pic of the Rockhopper:

8093199005_f8b378f179_n.jpg

Pic of the S-Works:

8093199281_06e7f7176a_n.jpg

Even if I can't find a buyer for either, I'm interested what people think as a whole new vs old debate anyway. This is how I see the trade-off:

S-Works
Pros:
Better frame, being US-built M4 and, well, it's an S-Works but older geometry (although I think I prefer the 'old' geometry – it's what I'm used to!).
Great to ride – very nippy and flickable and light but also forgiving.
Better wheels (Crossrides)

Cons:
Bit battered, not disc-compatible, forks could do with a service/replacing

Rockhopper Comp
Pros:
Better forks, which I also spent money having TF Tuned, disk brakes and more 'modern' geometry (for what that's worth)

Cons:
Heavy in comparison to S-Works
Wheels are a bit crappy – could do with some better ones

Erm, so that's it really. Essentially, I'm interested to see whether people think a 13-year old S-Works that's looked after can still out-bike a modern(ish) Rockhopper with discs and better forks.

Oh, and if anyone fancies either of them, drop me a PM!

Cheers

I suspect most people on this retro site will say retro :LOL:

I got rid of my 2011 Boardman HT pro this year and kept my retro rides.

Boardman was a great bike when it was working :LOL: :LOL: but man, bikes these days are just not built properly like the old ones...

Always felt fragile, big hoooooge metalwork that i just knew was super thin in parts, i always expected it to snap or let me down, it was like owning an Alfa.

Always had hassle with the Elixer R brakes, setting them up was a pita, always wondered if i maybe had air in the lines somehow?

BB30 = lets not even go there, around 5 replacements in a years worth of use, back to square taper for me :D

Me and the missus were out for a 50 miler around the NE coast last sunday, stopped off at a seaside chippy for some fuel on the way back and some youngish lad cruised past on a jump bike on his way to the bmx/skate park bit accross the road, he turned round, stopped, and just sat there grinning, at first i thought he was grinning at me, i was beguining to think i was going to have to level this fecker into the ground :LOL:

"awghh man, you dont see many of them bad boys any more, SWEEEEET BIKE MATE!!"

Turns out he had an early Big Hit a few years back and i was always wanting an Elite Max Backbone but could never find one, he was jizzing all over it :D :D had a decent chat with the lad, he still had a set of 98 BAM zocchi forks in his garage from his youth.

This happens a fair amount of times tbh, people love seeing the old stuff.

Never got anything like that on the modern ride.

Funnily enough, I recently sold my Alfa! Maybe there's something in that...

Cheers for your thoughts. Chalk one up for the retro ride then. Preaching to the converted a little bit on Retrobike obviously, but I do agree with most of what you say. I do like the RH but it doesn't seem as nicely put together as the S-Works and most of the modern technology is probably overkill for the type of riding I do. I ain't likely to get to the Alps anytime soon, so why do I need disc brakes? And they are a major PITA to bleed and change pads in my experience. Can get good power out of some well set-up Vs and they're easy to look after. Same goes for the crank/BB setup.

Avid's are notoriously rubbish...I think the newer ones have had a redesign to make them less susceptible to air getting trapped in the lever. Other modern discs are a big improvement on v's or early discs.

Geometry depends on the riding you do...I think the slacker angles, lower bottom brackets make for much better handling bikes in the right conditions. Modern tyres are loads better off road.

I have a foot in both camps I guess, I started riding in '96 so love loads of stuff from back then, but also realise that some modern stuff is great too. Some stuff from both eras is just awful...elastomer forks, long stems and narrow bars from the older ears for example. But I equally hate over complex suspension with lock out, travel adjust and excess hydro forming on modern bikes.

I'd keep whichever bike you like the most. That era Rockhopper we're great value bikes in terms of the stuff on them but they seem to be going backwards in terms of spec each year.

Cheers Getin – from your signature it looks like you know a thing or two about the Big S! Feedback appreciated, and the same to everyone else. Still not sure I've made my mind up but interesting to hear people's opinions. I think a ride-off at the weekend may be in order to help me decide.

S-Works

Right folks, decision made, the S-Works is going up for sale. Looking for £275 posted as a complete bikes or open to offers for splits. Will start a sale thread later tonight but in the meantime, here's a few of the highlights, spec-wise:

1999 18" S-Works M4 frame
Manitou SX forks
Nearly new Mavic Crossride wheels (less than six months' use)
Spesh Ground Control amberwall tyre
Specialized Strongarm crankset
M950 BB (needs a service!)
FSA headset (also needs a service!)

PM me if interested. Sale thread going up shortly.

Back