Hydraulic Disc Brake Recomendations...

Alex Creasey

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Morning all!

Has anyone any experience with 'Quad Nano' Disc brakes I've seen on Ebay at all? If so are they any good?
I know they won't be a match for Hope's or Shimano's which I've mainly been on the verge of buying but just wondering as an introductory set to get into the world of hydraulics?

Cheers.
Alex.

Shimano's are the best at the moment. The new Hope ones are a pain in the arse. Obviously Avid are still terrible.

No experience of the Quad Nano, could be alright. They don't seem that cheap in comparison to other brakes though.

The Quads seem to get ok reviews, but as previously said they are not all that cheap compared to other more established brands.

Avid have supposedly sorted out their issues, but I think there is still a huge mistrust of the Elixir range.

Formula brakes are pretty much the most powerful things out there but are expensive and parts are eye wateringly pricey.

Shimano brakes are popular, although I am sending mine back because there appears to be an issue with the membrane seal in the reservoir that is letting air in and giving a mushy lever feel.

I'm a fan of Hayes brakes, but most people hate them. I've had five pairs now and all have been powerful and nit needed any TLC.

Formula parts are expensive indeed. However the brakes themselves aren't.
On the German eBay you can find a full RX set for around £150, rotors included. That's the best power/price ratio on the market.

Hope's are ace. Had some Mono Mini's and currently have some 2009 Tech M4's. Not had a moments trouble and they're more then powerful enough.

Raging_Bulls":2fmwpzr5 said:
Formula parts are expensive indeed. However the brakes themselves aren't.
On the German eBay you can find a full RX set for around £150, rotors included. That's the best power/price ratio on the market.

That's not too bad. The price of The One's in the UK are very high. They get great reviews though and look lovely.

I'm not a fan of Hope brakes; ever since the Mini they seem to have been left behind. I'm not a fan of the machined look either. My M4's aren't great and the Mind's on the other half's bike are just rubbish.

beagle":momkz68k said:
The new Hope ones are a pain in the arse.

brocklanders023":momkz68k said:
Hope's are ace.

Therein lies the problem of asking for recommendations.

I've just ordered a set of Hope Tech Evo M4 brakes, I'd better stock up with Anusol!

nigelb":1dgnh4a7 said:
I've just ordered a set of Hope Tech Evo M4 brakes, I'd better stock up with Anusol!

That's fair enough, just don't bring them to me when you want them bled. I'd agree with Mindcap3, they haven't been "ace" in a long time.

beagle":2vvz56da said:
nigelb":2vvz56da said:

That's fair enough, just don't bring them to me when you want them bled. I'd agree with Mindcap3, they haven't been "ace" in a long time.

I reckon the last good brakes they made were the E4's. The series with the Mini lever are rubbish...not a fan of the original Moon's either. When we went to Morzine, the guys with Mono M4's and 6 pots seemed to have nowt but issues.

They still seem to have a loyal following though and life would be dull if we all liked the same thing.

Magura, I run a set of 2007 Marta SL's on my everyday bike and they are pretty much like the rim brakes of old in the fit and forget stakes.

Back