Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:53 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:29 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 7:25 pm
Posts: 220
Location: Swansea
Maxxis advantage 2.25 front, aspen 2.1 rear?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:16 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:02 am
Posts: 441
Location: Australia
Would you rather more grip or fast rolling?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:43 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:26 am
Posts: 281
a little off subject but
whats the best way of finding out what size will fit with out buying a tyre fitting it then it no fitting in the frame?
reason i ask is looking at changing my tyres to conti rubber queens, either a 2.2 or 2.4 at the moment i have 1.95 tioga on there looks like lots of room to bigger just dont want to waste my time?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:40 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 16737
Location: Yorkshire, England
lowslowandold wrote:
a little off subject but
whats the best way of finding out what size will fit with out buying a tyre fitting it then it no fitting in the frame?
reason i ask is looking at changing my tyres to conti rubber queens, either a 2.2 or 2.4 at the moment i have 1.95 tioga on there looks like lots of room to bigger just dont want to waste my time?


Measure between your stay will give an instant estimate, a larger tyre will be slightly higher up in the stays as well.
The where it's close as people.
It's not just the frame you need to worry about, but with canti's of either type it is spreading the brakes apart so you can get the tyre in past them.

Best to say your rims, your frame and see if others have managed.

e.g.
Mavic XC717 with Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25" on 1997 Kona Explosif just fit in the frame, if it's muddy it will strip the paint either side but not lock up.
They do however rip the brake pads out of the Shimano Vbrakes when I put the wheel in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:17 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:26 am
Posts: 281
2 things I didn't think about!
it's a 98 Specialized FSR, not sure on rims (assuming they are original) with v brakes (didn't even cross my mind about the tyre pushing them apart) wanting to fit 2.2 Conti Rubber Queens, possibly switching to disc or magura that will make a difference on fitting as well


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:39 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:23 pm
Posts: 938
FluffyChicken wrote:


It's not just the frame you need to worry about, but with canti's of either type it is spreading the brakes apart so you can get the tyre in past them.
lowslowandold wrote:

They do however rip the brake pads out of the Shimano Vbrakes when I put the wheel in.



Or just deflate the tyre :idea:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group