worn components - dead or alive?

bj

Retro Guru
I tend to change my XT chain about every 18months (1/16 stretched), and my XT cassette and middle chainring about every 3 years.

Up to now I have always binned the components with the assumption that surely no one would want worn components.

Does anyone actively use or look for worn components with specific uses in mind?

For example - my cassette's high gear sprockets tend to wear out much more quickly than the low gear sprockets. Presumably others wear out the opposite in which case it would be possible to make one half decent cassette out of two worn ones.

I have a habit of changing everything at the same time. Don't really examine the options for disposal, just stack 'em in the dark corner.

worn chains can go on hack singlespeeds... maybe!

but in reality, chains beyond 0.75% stretched are toast and they're wearing the cogs out too.

so yeah... artists, community projects, recycled bike organisations, charity workshops are all worth looking into if you're concerned about excessive landfill :D

Seen references to cassette candle holders and sprocket wind chimes!!

So in the bin they go and I can whistle while I do it with a 'reasonably' clear conscience.

Ah - but what to do with all the short lengths of chain that I get left with after each new chain. Can't quite bring myself to throw those out. Save them up and make up a full chain one day!

bj":2ntptlrj said:
Seen references to cassette candle holders and sprocket wind chimes!!

So in the bin they go and I can whistle while I do it with a 'reasonably' clear conscience.

Ah - but what to do with all the short lengths of chain that I get left with after each new chain. Can't quite bring myself to throw those out. Save them up and make up a full chain one day!

yeah, one with lots of weak links!

if you're not recycling them, give them to the scrap men that prowl the streets - at least they may get a chance to be scrapped properly then.

All the chains that i have cjoined in such a way has been fine. I keep the offcuts to make a new one at somep point (although tend to use the same chains, not sure i could bring myself to mate 2 odd parts).
Here is my old ss chain that lasted a good while, what you see on one side is reverse on the other. Took me 4/5hours to do. Didnt snap:
18102011274.jpg

Sod binning them! Last time I had a pile of bike parts to get rid of (chains, cranks, BBs, bent wheels and a couple of rotted frames) I took the lot to the local scrapyard, it was weighed and they paid me about a tenner! If you have the kind of spare time to make your own chain from bits, you could even separate the Alu from the steel and get paid even more!
:)

I like recycling!
(secret pikey :LOL: )

Back