Heavy handed clot - bottom bracket threads stripped :(

scottyp

Dirt Disciple
Whilst swapping over bottom brackets on my GT Team Zaskar I noticed the bottom bracket I was removing was cross threaded :(

tried carefully screwing in the new external bearing shimano cups but they won't screw in straight.

To save writing off the frame can I get away with using a press fit bottom bracket?

Yes you can, there are a number of options.

I would take it to a decent shop and get them to chase the thread first though.

:)

If it's still jiggered after chasing the threads out, BETD and other companies can 'helicoil' the BB shell too. You can even buy off the shelf thread saver kits, but I don't think they'd work in your application.

Iwasgoodonce":1azf2443 said:
Google thread saver kit. Look at Images. Did it do it for you too?

I tried it in BB sheel once with not great results, was more curious than anything else - to see if it worked!

BETD did my old Enduro frame - very good job but obviously had to strip & post frame, pay for job plus return postage. More than worth it for a decent frame though, it was better engineered than new.

If everything fails simply glue the BB cup using steel epoxy. Put liberal amount on the contact area, leave for two days... I did it on my old steel Dawes few years ago. It was un-moveable! :cool:

If you ever want to take it off just use a heat gun for about 30 seconds, then you'll see/smell the epoxy being burned ;)

you can get a bottom bracket that is secured with a lock ring(the bb its self is threaded an the lockring is tightened up against the bb shell

i know hope made one there must be cheaper makes out there the one i m thinking of had square taper axle so only good for retro cranks

but as said above get the thread chased first

Argos reamed and sleeved the BB in my Patriot frame which had knackered threads. With the steel insert it was better than new. A real good job. But they are local to me so saves faff and expense of posting.

Back