650b/27.5 Anyone running these on a 26" frame?

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Looking to build some wheels for next summer, will go onto a 650b frame eventually, once they are established and prices settle, but I was thinking about sticking them on a 26er meanwhile.

Anyone running this way?

I have about 14" clearance on the frame I am favouring for this.

:)

Yes, lots of manufacturers are putting out 650 gear now the frame makers are adopting the format en masse.

Should be interesting to see how things shape up over the next couple of years, whether 650 sales will hit 26ers or 29ers the hardest.

Looking at Stan's rims.

Do you get much interest in 650s?

I've been considering this lately too.
I have an 853 framed Rock Lobster that I'm building up as a rigid 1x9 for winter use, and have been keeping my eyes peeled for some 650b wheels to try on it.
Not seen any decent deals on wheels anywhere yet though, and hardly anyone stocking them at all :?

Looks like I have an inch to play with on the rear, for my preferred tyre profile. (2.1s)

This makes a lot of sense for my modern as I am pretty certain I am going 650 long term.

I will be building some Stans onto XTR hubs.

The future is all steel and all feel for me now, I am just going back to hardtail after years of full susser due to injuries.

Hoping to stick with it, but I see a thudbuster in my immediate future!

Attachments

• gap.jpg
    gap.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,040
Seems like a good idea, might be tight with fat tires?
Could save some some good $$$ on a 650 spec frame if they fit on a 26er

Yeah, lots of folks are doing it.

I am guessing 650 frames are the next 29ers, seems all the makers are going to feature them in the coming year.

That should see prices falling radically.

I wonder what the new black will be a couple of years on!

Bit OT I know but has anyone here built a 69er? I need to repair / replace the forks on my 456 so now seems a good time to try it. Hadn't thought about 650 though, any one done this?

I have seen one or two on here.

I think Andy in Isle Of Wight did one?

I like the idea of 650 at the back, 29 at the front.

Think I would have to stay rigid at the front for that one.

Got some forks in mind, I will look at them next time I am down in the smoke.

Currently looking at sticking huge volume tires on to simulate 650, will wait until next year for all the 650 parts to drop to normal prices.

Back