Disc brake mounts...help!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

I've just got some new disc brakes and having a bit of bother fitting the front one to my fox forks. I'm running 160mm rotors which I would like to keep. But seems that I need an adapter to change from IS mount to post mount...the calipers are Shimano XTR M965. My question is can I get an adapter that will fit the calipers/fork that would allow me to still run a 160mm rotor on the front?

Wook

^^^ exactly what he says - there may be cheaper adpaters than the KCNC one,

£ 9.99

but you should be able to get one for around a fiver - you need to do some searvhing

They are what I think is post mount? As in the holes in the fork face forward rather than from the side....As for the room, I'm not sure...

The holes in the fork face backwards and the holes in the caliper are side to side? Then yes, you can easily get an adapter to rub your 160mm disc.

if the fork holes are side to side and the caliper's are front facing, you can get an adapter but will have to go up to a 180mm rotor.

Edit: I've just realised this is arse about face. Ignore me...

IS - the bolts are parallel to the axle, Post the bolts are parallel to the frame.

below is IS calliper and Post mount fork
shimano-xtr-calliper-zoom.jpg

Fox_2008_fork_disc_brake_mounts.jpg

Ahh the pictures are making it clearer... here are pics of my forks (with current XT caliper) and then the new XTR caliper...

Attachments

• caliper.jpg
    caliper.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 947
  • fork.jpg
    fork.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 947
...right thanks sorry only been using Disc brakes this year! So given the forks will I be able to get an adapter that will still let me use the 160mm rotors I already have? The guy who sold me them was running a 180mm rotor but used a "hope" adapter....So is it possible that I will need to run a 180 rotor too?

Thanks for all the help BTW

Wook

wookiee":1isrpi44 said:
So given the forks will I be able to get an adapter that will still let me use the 160mm rotors I already have?

Yes, if you use that adapter I originally posted the link for that should fit and allow you to use the 160mm disc but in case there is not enough clearance Clee Cycles have stated in the description that you can return no questions asked so i would try that first ;)

from the product description:
160mm Disc Calliper Adapter to mount a 160mm IS calliper on a post mount fork with a 160mm disc.
It may not fit all callipers to all forks as there is very little clearance on some designs! If it does not fit - it can be returned

Back