anyone fancy rebuilding an x-9 shifter???

jax13

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
like a complete moron i decided to open up the bottom half of my x-9 shifter rather than the top half to change the cables over.

sooo, is there anyone on the forum who is a dab hand at rebuilding the damn things as the vid i just watched on youtube makes it no clearer and i could do with a bit of a description rather than 101 d1ck jokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qskSMBamxsU

can anyone help? i was hoping to get it back on the bike & running for the weekend when i (hopefully) take out my new project for a shakedown.

Good luck...they're a pain in the arse to put back together.

I bought a supposedly new one off eBay that turned out to be fooked, before giving up on it I took it apart to see if I could fix it. Was a little pig to get back together. Still didn't work either.

cracking!!!

been going at it like a frenzied gynaecologist for over an hour and cant get the bloody spring back in the main body of the shifter without the lever assembly coming adrift.

as much as i like the shifters, they are a pain in the knackers compared to shimano ones when it comes to servicing / cable replacement.

You need a mate and a pair of needle nosed pliers. Why do we always only imagine doing these things on our own? Use the above and you'll be sorted mate.

i think... i might have done it.

gonna chuck a cable in there in the morning and check its pulling both ways but hopefully it'll be done, if not i'll be offering a beer token based reward scheme to someone who can fettle it for me!

Mindmap3":l0ulko5x said:
Was it sorted in the end?

rebuilt & feeding cable in both directions although the down shift lever doesn't always return to the right position so there may be spring tension issues (although if it shifts properly i'm not proud so i'll probably employ an elastic band as a return spring alternative!!!)

hoping to get out on the bike on saturday with it fitted so if there are any issues i'll have another crack at stripping & rebuilding to see if there is any improvement before i look at paying for a repair!

Back