Evil sodding rotor bolts.

B77

Senior Retro Guru
Just ordered nice new rotors and started to take the old ones off this evening. The bolts were tightened by the incredible hulk and seem to be made of cheese, consequently have chewed one up, so is there any magic solution or shall I have to take somewhere to be charged 75 euros an hour to remove it ?

If you are lucky they may be held in by threadlock. Try putting some solvent in from the rear i.e. spoke side and leave overnight. If you have chewed the allen head, try tapping in a slightly over sized star bit.

Grind it off or drill it out.
Or you can maybe flex the rotor up and twist it to get it moving.

Bullpup":qm7tsk96 said:
If you are lucky they may be held in by threadlock. Try putting some solvent in from the rear i.e. spoke side and leace overnight. If you have chewed the allen head, try tapping in a slightly over sized star bit.

They are threadlocked in I think, what sort of solvent do you reckon ?

Drill...if they're soft, it shouldn't take too much to get them out.

That's all the bike shop will do for you. What brakes are they for?

The new rotors and brakes are replacing some hayes brakes so I presume the rotors are .I'll try solvent first, I'll give drilling a go when I'm a bit more relaxed and calm because if I do it now I'll be looking for a new hub.......Thing is this was the first bolt so sod's law they'll all be like it.

I was going to suggest Acetone but according to Loctite that may not work. Heat may be the answer say holding a soldering iron tip on the bolt head:

"No solvent will wick into the joint to break the threadlocker down. This is either hand-tool removable at room temperature; if not, it requires high temperatures of 450-600°F (212-316°C) to separate parts. The products are thermoset plastics in the cured state that soften at higher temperatures. Thus, you need to disassemble while at the higher softening-point temperature. Do not let it cool down first. Otherwise, it will resoldify. Solvents like methyl ethyl keytone and methylene chloride can be used for clean up of residue only after disassembly."

Are they torx heads or allen heads? The Hayes torx bolts are absolute b*stards to get out if you round them off because they're tough as he'll.

When I worked in a shop, a bloke bought his three year commuter bike in because his Hayes had seized up. I don't think he had ever cleaned it...getting those rotor bolts out was a nightmare.

I got a free set of brakes though. All they needed was some New pistons and a bleed, but he couldn't be bothered so bought some Hopes. Which probably died too after years of neglect.

Are they torx heads or allen heads? The Hayes torx bolts are absolute b*stards to get out if you round them off because they're tough as he'll.

When I worked in a shop, a bloke bought his three year commuter bike in because his Hayes had seized up. I don't think he had ever cleaned it...getting those rotor bolts out was a nightmare.

I got a free set of brakes though. All they needed was some New pistons and a bleed, but he couldn't be bothered so bought some Hopes. Which probably died too after years of neglect.

Back