Decent chain tool

Bobzilla

Dirt Disciple
My trusty old chain tool broke (the pin came loose and stuck in a chain), so I need to replace it. I have tried one of the cheap Ebay jobbies, but the hole at the back is too big - the plate disappears down it partially making removal of the rivet that much harder, and getting the chain off the tool with the rivet sticking out (I do the reusable rivet trick) is really hard.

So, what do you recommend. I want cheap, reliable and does the job. I appreciate that this is a bit 'moon on a stick', but its a chain tool. How hard can it be?

How about this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Cycle ... 27c9ee877b

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
poweredbypies":24j8qeap said:
I bought this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251074407543? ... 1497.l2649

Glad to say its not made out of monkey metal works really well and for the price is a total steal.

That's the one I bought, but I can't get it to work on extracting a pin. I have to remove the screw in thing at the back, and then the chain plate disappears down the hole. What am I missing? How is it supposed to work?

After many recommendations and busted cheap tools I went for a Park mini. Don't let the mini tag dissuade you its a fine home workshop tool too.

chaintool.jpg

Had this since 2001, and was my buddy's before that since he was a kid..... never failed in the best part of 20 years

bikeComponentsAllGerber_Cool_Tool_CT419451-resized200.jpg

G

Chain in place wind the bit in at the back with the spring loaded pin so its flush to the link plate then wind the extractor pin in. Works a treat for me.

I'm a big fan of IceToolz. I have this one. It also holds the links next to the one you're trying to open/close, making the job just a little easier.

IceToolz-icetoolz-chain-tool-IMG22216.jpg

Back