Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:22 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:41 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:53 pm
Posts: 2981
Location: Super Sussex by the Sea
Harryburgundy wrote:
Raging_Bulls wrote:
As FluffyChicken says, we must avoid seeing the exact same bike being entered time and time again.



I agree in principle but we are all pretty much adults here and I doubt anyone would re-enter their bike month on month, give our members a little more credit.


Personally I think being able to enter only twice is a little draconian, and perhaps unlimited maybe a little too, well, unlimited!! How about a happy medium i.e. a bike can be entered into any relevant competition say 4 times a year? As HB said spending £000s on a build to miss out by a vote or two and not being able to enter it ever again is a little harsh! Personally I think that should apply to all the BOTM polls.... My 2p said!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:07 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 16749
Location: Yorkshire, England
rosstheboss wrote:
As HB said spending £000s on a build to miss out by a vote or two and not being able to enter it ever again is a little harsh! Personally I think that should apply to all the BOTM polls.... My 2p said!


but it wasn't the best bike and what that is implying is keep entering until I win when the competition is lower then I'll feel Kewl 'cos I need to win.

I still like my fair entry policy for normal months and unlimited entry for theme months.

Of course that is what I would like to see in the bikes.
I do of course not own these modern wonders you all have, I do however like looking, reading and voting on them.
I don't want to see the same 'bike build' crop up time and time again. If it wasn't good enough for 1st prize then man up, it's only second best and do something to the build to try and rectify it, I couldn't care less if you feel you should have first prize because you spent 10o0's on it.
Still probably wont win as it is all a bit pot luck and rule#15 :D

Harryburgundy the rule is there for a reason I assume, the proposed rules are more lenient.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:19 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:57 pm
Posts: 4074
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Anthony wrote:
It depends what you mean by 'bike'. I wonder whether what it was intended to mean was 'build'. There might be a fantastic frame, but it doesn't win because of flaws in the build. If it was then given a different build, would it still be the same 'bike' because it still had the same frame? Maybe, but it wouldn't be the same build. I think you shouldn't be allowed to enter the same build repeatedly, but I don't see why you shouldn't enter a new build on a frame that had been entered before.

Needless to say, the judges' decision would be final on what constituted a different build from before and what didn't.

Anthony,

That's what I wrote in #12, but I kept the word "build" out of it to prevent confusion.

12 ) Bikes can be entered several times, as long as the owner provides proof that the bike has undergone serious modifications in the last 3 entries (unless it wins, in which case it cannot be entered again - see rule 11).
"Serious modifications" would be a repaint, restoration or different 'look'. When in doubt, either the organizer or the forum's admin will make a decision.


Basically the same frame can be entered a thousand times as far as I'm concerned, as long as the bike as a whole has undergone substantial changes.

I mentioned "the organizer or the forum's admin" because I too like to enter my bike. If there ever is any doubt about mine, I shouldn't be allowed to decide on my own bike's eligibility.


FluffyChicken wrote:
I don't want to see the same 'bike build' crop up time and time again. If it wasn't good enough for 1st prize then man up, it's only second best and do something to the build to try and rectify it, I couldn't care less if you feel you should have first prize because you spent 10o0's on it.

True that. However you can't "rectify" a build if the voters don't comment.
Then again, would you rebuild your bike to conform to how someone else wants it to look? I know I wouldn't.

rosstheboss wrote:
How about a happy medium i.e. a bike can be entered into any relevant competition say 4 times a year?

This is a bi-monthly competition, so there only are 6 contests each year. 4 may be a tad much.
I have been thinking along the same lines too though, but I had 3 entries per year in mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:50 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:16 pm
Posts: 9609
Location: brigg, home of the gypsies
i disagree with this. build a bike, enter the competition once as per normal rules.

old bikes go through changes just as much as modern ones, seems really wishy washy and unnecessary to start altering rules, for what?

personally i think given this site is retrobike that bikes entered shouldnt be new anyway. fair enough post 98 but certainly not 2010


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:01 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11108
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
...but this is 2012!

;)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group