Anyone shed any light on this.....

naffa

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Its for sale in my local classifieds listed as a 'KIRK MAGNESIUM ALLOY MOUNTAIN BIKE , 21 SPEED , ALLOY WHEELS , FINGER GEAR SHIFT , NEW TYRE'S , MINT CONDITION.
Never heard of one before.

101452283_640.jpg

Its retro i think. My workmate had one. Said the rear end snapped (common) but was still together so was odd going round corners.
Probably a garage queen really.

Do a search in retro, may find some more that way.

http://www.kirk-bicycles.co.uk/Kirk.htm

Called a revolution as i recall.

it is a Kirk magnsium frame mtb - from around early 90s?

magnesium was touted as the wonder material - light and loads of it dissovled in seawater - we should have all been riding Mg frames now but for some reason it never took off.

I value it at £ 105.74 - what is seller asking?

It was too brittle. Not sure on what they could have alloyed it with to get the right properties.

hmm, there is some way round it as it is possible to buy lightweight albeit v.expenisve car and motorcycle wheels made with magnesium e.g. Marchesini.

yup a kirk
if its in one bit and cheap buy it , they're only getting more scarce

i might buy it off of you :LOL:

Buy it.

I had one, it was horrible odd flexible ride and heavy but very different. Despite its flaws I did like it. I sold it to Senri on the forum he started a thread on it iirc, as did I.

Sellers asking £80ono

I dont like it myself aside from it being unusual. Its advertised as mint condition and is in Rowley Regis west mids.

I'll provide the contact number by pm, if anyone wants it let me know.

I've seen pictures of Kirk frames being piled up at the factory, waiting to be scrapped. These frames were cast, and many of them had air bubbles in critical places (like just above the BB). Those were prone to break under load.

If you want a Kirk, I'd suggest avoiding the ones that have barely been ridden. High-mileage ones are more likely to be good.

Back