Mix and match disc brakes

Bobzilla

Dirt Disciple
I am serious considering swapping my front brake over to discs, and I have a set of disc wheels I picked up off ebay. They are a six bolt pottern with a tektro disc on. I have found a very cheap LX front disc set that I am seriously considering buying.

Question is, can I mix discs? Its a full shimano lever and caliper set, so I'm not mixing the system, which I understand is a no-no. Its just a shimano system with a tektro disc. I guess that I won't be getting the best out of the shimano system, but that's not a biggie for me, so long as it actually works reasonably well.

Thoughts? Other than 'why don't you buy the latest XTR stuff' or similar. I'm on a tight budget with 2 kids and a mortgage. I'm not 18 and working for a bike shop any more. Sadly.

The short answer: Yes you can :)

I'm running Hayes calipers and levers with a set of aftermarket rotors and they work just fine. Just make sure you have the right size rotor for the caliper/mount that you have (ie. 160/180/200mm etc).

There are slight variances in the thickness of the rotors themselves (Shimano I think are slightly thinner than some), but this usually won't make much difference. It might just mean that you'll have to reset the pads before you can use the brakes that's all.

To reset the pads, you remove them from the calipers (simple job), and push the pistons back in using the flat of a spanner or something similar. Then pop the pads back in, stick the wheel in and give the brakes a squeeze for the pads to align themselves again.

Can you run shimano levers upside down? CRC have some decent deals on left hand front levers, but I am used to the UK set up, so might want to use it upside down to put it on the right. I understand you can do this on some levers, but I am not convinced that this would be possible on Shimano because of the reservoir (plain levers, not all in ones).

Ta.

Shimano levers are side specific, not flip flop like Avids and older Hayes brakes. Guess they're cheap at CRC because they are left over, or to entice you to buy a cheapy one then a full price one.

ooooh, so many questions.

disc rotors are more or less standard thickness of around 2.0 mm (without looking up, Shimano ICE rotor are thicker so will not fit in callipers not designed for ICE discs, and there are some really lightweight rotors that achieve lower weight by being thinner - these are not a problem fitting). there are 2 types of fitting 6 bolt like what you have nad cetnre lock (there is some rare hope 5 bolt rotors that are not worth talking about)

the other factor is disc diameter - callipers are designed for 160 mm so any disc rotor of that size, and most of themn are, will fit. by using adapters, larger diamter disc rotors can be fitted.

you can mix/match brake levers and callipers providing they use the same braking fluid type - shimano and magura use mineral oil, others e.g. formula, hope, avid, hayes use car brake fluid - the seals are not compatible with the other fluid. you need to take into account the piston area because if this is different from the original calliper, the travel on the lever will change.

many levers are symmetic design -e.g. avid elixir and formula r1 to name two - any lever that has a reservoir with a cap need to be mounted so the cap is uppermost hence is handed. I thought the latest Shimano XT and XTR we symmetrical design.

The current Shimano brakes are definitely side specific - the XT M785's have the master cylinder on top of the lever a bit like their original hydro levers.

It took them long enough to introduce a split clamp system so I can't see them doing the flip flop thing any time soon!

yep - you're right about shimano brkae levers - just had a closer look and there appear to be resrevoir and bleed screw on one side.

Or you could go for a decent cable disc caliper like an Avid BB7 and keep your existing levers etc. A friend has a BB7 on the front of his bike and it stops very well. They'll work with any rotor as have pad adjusters and a lot less faff than hydro discs.

Back