Sunn Shamann vs Boardman Team FS

Bobzilla

Dirt Disciple
I'm agonising over getting a full bounce (more XC orientated) bike. I have the choice of a Boardman Team FS (or possibly a Voodoo Zobop if it drops to £1k for christmas) at £680, or am looking at Chain Reaction's offerings, including the Sunn Shamann 2010. Bit more expensive at £900, so £220 increase in price, and I would most likely want to upspec it within fairly short order (to Shimano XT).

Thoughts? I notice that the Sunn weighs in at 11.6kg with inferior parts, so a good 2kg at least lower than the Boardman (dropping further when I upspec), but its a 2 year old bike. Is it worth the extra £220?

Thanks.

You've mentioned weight in your reckoning and I would say a 2kg saving for £200 is a good lbs>£ ratio, The Sunn looks nicer too IMO, I don't think the 2 year difference has brought too much advancement in technology, though the glaring one is the oversize head tube and bolt through fork of the Boardman which will guarantee a bit of future proofing.

OK, what's the deal on the oversize head tube? I know everythings going tapered (presume better strength), but is straight 1 1/8" going out the window now? Am I going to have difficulties in actually finding a fork if I want to upgrade in the future?

I can deal with the bolt through fork issue if I can upgrade the fork at a later date (although the recon is quite a good fork anyway?).

I don't think you'll have too many difficulties but I do think 1 1/8 and 9mm qr will be less popular meaning less choice. The tapered headtube and bolt through are meant to increase stiffness rather than strength.

Back