Can you run tubeless wheels with tubes?

trxrincon

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hey I'm looking at buying a new set of hope hoops with pro 2 evo on stans flow tubeless wheels but I'm new to the whole tubeless thing so was just wondering if I can run tubes with them for time being??? cheers Rob :cool:

On the topic, do tubeless wheels need to be inflated by compressed air or will a track pump do it? I've failed to convert tires already on the current bike, but I really want to try on my new one.

Some have managed with a track pump but its not guaranteed. Others have had more luck with co2 pumps.

it is quite difficult - it needs a large volum of air in order to seat the tyres.

it helps to run some water/washing up liquid mix along the bead as this can form a temporary seal for long enough to seat the bead - seem to recall there was a better way of doing it, either running a bead of stans fluid along the tyre bead or using tape - probably the former.

gavinda":1xa7mrpz said:
On the topic, do tubeless wheels need to be inflated by compressed air or will a track pump do it? I've failed to convert tires already on the current bike, but I really want to try on my new one.

I think a lot depends on the tyre. Conti's are notorious for having porous side salsa so are a pain in the bum to do without a compressor, other brands are supposed to work with a track pump.

I think I read somewhere that you need to be careful with CO2 because it can react badly with some brands of sealant. Not sure how true it is as I've not paid that much attention totubeless to date because I can't be bothered with the faff.

Recently had the tubeless experience for the first time and fitted some Hutchinson Pythons to my SLR's using Joe's sealant. UST tyres apparently can be run without sealant but better to use it. Like has been stated unless you have a proper UST tyre then you may have fun with porous sidewalls and I'd definitely use a compressor if you can as mine went up pretty quick but then then I had to pressure them up to about 60 psi before they seated with a loud BANG despite using some Fairy liquid to help them along.
Another point is if you buy used tyres then don't be too suprised when sealant comes squirting out out of a thorn hole or 2 under quite high pressure and redecorates the kitchen (like I did) ... lol !

Sounds like I need a cheap and decent compressor then :roll: Any suggestions guys. I've one bike on bontrager dusters with proper tubeless and ive got some stans strips for my kona 69er that I wanna try out. Plus when the new bike arrives, I think ima go tubeless with that too.

Back