2nd hand disc brakes

BobCatMax

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Looking for something that isn't going to break the bank, but is better than entry level..what punches above its weight in the 2nd hand market?

currently sporting a Hope O2 on the front of my GT, and have a mini mono that needs a service & was going to replace it (hence the wanted ad for a rear) but as I'm not having much luck...options for a whole 2nd hand set..?

edit to add - hydraulic rather than cable please

Seconded, that goes for most of the Magura range, I've got Hayes Strokers Ryde (crap) and Avid something or others and Maguras, the Maguras knock the rest into a cocked hat, going to be changing all for them eventually. Excellent modulation,easy to set up/bleed, can be a bit grabby at first when breaking in new pads. Mind you the older Shimano Saints are pretty damn good too and cheap second hand.

Yes Mr Burgundy, very tempted by yours in the for sale section......

waiting on a deposit to be refunded, but somewhere under £100, unless someone can find a rear mini mono

I have looked at the formulas, they look pretty good. Also having my head turned by Magura's as I run HS33's on two of my bikes already

Another vote for maguras here.

I've run a set of 'Louise' brakes since 2004 and have only needed to change the pads a few times and this year, after 8 years, bleed them!

I've had Avid, but they have always fallen apart.

I also have a set of Hayes Strokers on my singlespeed at the moment and they work well.

I now see no reason to consider anything other than Maguras, either in the fork or disc brakes departments.
They are seriously underrated in the UK. Dunno why... :roll:

Sorry if this is not the done thing but these have been on. Ebay US for a while, I'd have had them but no funds.....the guy will ship to the UK for $45.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magura-Louise-2 ... _500wt_922

The Stroker Ryde I have on the Stinky Six are ok on trails but on anything that requires constant braking they fade very badly and things start getting worringly hairy.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I agree about the Magura - for brakes and Forks, however I also run 2011 Deore Hydro discs on one bike, and they are going cheeep at CRC right now!! You can get them for £100 a pair if they have any left!

GREAT modulation, and very powerful when you need a sudden stop.
Can't comment on longevity as I've only had them a few months..

A brand new set of the current Deore brakes would be within budget from Rose Bikes in Germany.

Avid seemed to have dropped a bollock; the Juicy brakes could do no wrong when they first came out, but the Elixirs seem a bit poo. I've got Hayes Stroker Aces and they're pretty good, but I do like Hayes brakes.

Back