Sram vs Shimano

alin90xxl

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys, i have read many contradictory things about this. So i thought i'd ask here, because i always find things that makes sence here :LOL:
So, the question is, Shimano vs Sram, especially in Slx - X7 and Deore - X5. And, if mixing and matching makes sence to you, and if so, what setup. Reasons why for example you prefer a part from shimano over an part for sram or one for sram over one for shimano are welocme. Thank you all

I think this topic has been covered many times...

However...

It's all personal preference!

Some run all Shimano

Some run all Sram

Some mix & match, but you have to use Shimano shifters with Shimano rear mechs (Except Sram Attack & Rocket shifters which can be used with 9 sped Shimano rear mechs) & Sram shifters with Sram rear mechs

9 & 10 speed are not cross compatible as they use different cable pull ratios

Personally I mix & match if I'm choosing the components for a build, but I have bought & own bikes that are all Shimano, but never bought bikes with all Sram (Sram front mech's are awful)

On the bikes I've built up...

I always use Shimano cassettes & front mechs

I always use Sram shifters & rear mechs

I always use KMC chains

Why? Because I find that combo just works well & I prefer the feel of Sram's shifters

I think Shimano equipment feels better built and much prefer the feel of the gear change from the shifters so it the big 'S' every time for me. :D

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah i knew about the rear d. compatibility.
1. Why do you think the sram front mech's are awful?
2. Do you consider kmc superior to sram and shimano chains?
3. Is there a big difference between the sram and shimano cassete?
4. What about the cranks?

Thank you for your time and knowledge

alin90xxl":3b0zm55e said:
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah i knew about the rear d. compatibility.
1. Why do you think the sram front mech's are awful?
2. Do you consider kmc superior to sram and shimano chains?
3. Is there a big difference between the sram and shimano cassete?
4. What about the cranks?

Thank you for your time and knowledge

My findings from working in a bike shop & personal experience are...

1) They're just nowhere near as good a quality as Shimano the tolerances in build are quite low, clunky looking & don't shift as well

2) KMC are better value & seem to last longer (KMC do make some Shimano chains so I'm told) Sram chains are OK, better than Shimano in my opinion

3) Shimano cassettes are generally lighter and shift better than Sram cassettes at the same price point XT being my favourite cassette

4) Shimano chainsets are damn good SLX being the best value closely followed by XT, I also love Middleburn cranks but they're not cheap!

Shimano's SLX is probably the best value groupset, closely followed by XT but I'd swap out the shifters & rear mech for Sram X9!

Personally use SRAM shifters and rear mech and a Shimano front mech, SRAM cassette and KMC chains. Tried a few others and works well for me. Everything shifts like a dream.

I'm all Shimano but always use SRAM cassettes and chains. The chains as I like the quick link (though they aren't the only company to use them) and the cassette as it makes sense to me to have the same brand as the chain. I think it may be an age thing as SRAM weren't around when I started cycling. And they're ugly :oops:

In my view the best are:
Cassettes:
Shimano shift well, but the teeth are shorter to enable it and so life is not so good. SRAM are cheaper and last better in high wear situations (mud or tandems).

Chains: Shimano run amazingly quietly but seem to last only a few hundred miles for me. SRAM or KMC last longer and are easier to join.

Shifters / Mechs: Shimano are lighter action, but the short cable pull per click makes them more finicky to adjust especially in 9 speed. Sram always seem a bit cruder but work well enough. Cheap SRAM front mechs seem very tetchy to get to work right. But there again, indexing the front is a daft idea IMO.

Chainsets: much of a muchness. Shimano chainrings are made of silver cheese and the lack of hardening means they wear alarmingly rapidly. It wouldn't stop me using their cranks, but I'd replace the rings with something better once worn out. Both seem to have problems with BB durability; the old Shimano square taper BBs are nigh on indestructible and fantastic.

Hubs: Shimano seem to last almost forever.

Back