Hayes 9 sticky calipers (rebuild advice needed)

xizang

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Anyone out there had this problem also?
My front brake pads (Hayes 9's) aren't retracting and I was wondering how easy it is to replace the pistons, rebuild and bleed it.
Any advice, please???

i had this prob with some tektro aurigas and avid juicy 5s. i got some silicone grease and pumped the brake lever so the pistons were nearly out of the caliper and put a generous amount on the sides of the pistons (wiping off excess). then work the pistons back in and out a few times and bleed them, and hey presto no more sticky pistons :D

The 9's are really east to service (I like Hayes brakes, unlike most peple who seem to hate them).

I'd suggest removing the pistons to see if they are scored from ingress of dirt etc and replace them and the piston seals if they are. The kits don't cost too much. If the pistons are in good condition lube the pistons with DOT fluid. I wouldn't put silicon grease on them as I'm not sure how the DOT fluid will affect it (for example the Stockers are famous for sticky levers and there is a special grease needed to resist the corrosive nature of the DOT fluid).

Getting the pistons out should be a doddle - remove the caliper from the mount, take the pads out and squeeze the lever. Once the pistons are mostly out, split the caliper and pull them out. Just getting the pistons to poke out will gove you enough room to lube them with DOT fluid.

Cheers Fellas.
I'll try the greasing/DOTting first as it seems the easiest to do.
If I don't get any joy with that I'll strip it down.

Back