Scandium, can anyone clue me in?

seadragonpisces

Old School Hero
Hi All.

Been on this site on and off for a year or more. I have purchased a road bike frame (Pacific Reach - scandium frame) and am getting it built up at my local bike shop.

Can anyone enlighten me about Scandium, I dont really know much about it. Does it serve any real function, or is it just some cool gimmick thing that people say they have on their bikes, ie, because its some kind of rare metal?

The main reason I got the frame is because it is a Ltd/Anniversary edition and because of the colour, but the fact its part Scandium is coincidental. Some parts on the bike eg the seatpost and bars are also going to be Scandium (KCNC) but I was more curious than anything.

Any info greatly appreciated, thanks

Ridiculously light material but some people see it very much as a material without a long life span. I've got a scandium Salsa and it makes aluminium frames feel heavy.

yeah, scandium was aimed at the racing whippets!! not really for the heavier chap (like me)

Thanks, the box the frame came in seemed empty :), so that explains it. Once the bike is built with some other light parts I am sure it will weigh next to nothing, which suits me so I dont have to do my back in when moving it about.

jonnyboy666":3pyfql7h said:
yeah, scandium was aimed at the racing whippets!! not really for the heavier chap (like me)

The bikes in this range can carry people up to 105kg and i am about 80, so wont put too much strain on the frame or the super light wheelset thats going to go on the bike, so hopefully I wont break anything too soon

My scandium frame without BB and headset cam in at around 1.3Kg. My old Klein was around 1.45Kg.

my yeti has a scandium tube...not sure which one(s)... i weighed in the 100-110kg range and it hasn't fallen apart yet after nearly 10 years... even with a big dent in the down tube...

the main idea of scandium is that it reduces the grain size for the metal, so its better for wielding properties so yo u add it to an aluminium alloy that has higher strength that doesn't weld as well as regular weldable versions, so you can make smaller tubes that are lighter, but just as strong as the regular 6-7000 series. So that makes the tubes lighter and more comfy, but don't loose any strength.

seadragonpisces":1re57l2l said:
Tazio":1re57l2l said:
My scandium frame without BB and headset cam in at around 1.3Kg. My old Klein was around 1.45Kg.

wow, it's amazing a bike frame can be that light

carbon fibre hard tail frames come in under 900 g.

Back