Hope No6 disk size?

LeeMsIsle

Dirt Disciple
Hi just purchased a set of Hope 4pot (no6 caliper) brakes for my Orange Sub5 rebuild, chap was using them with a 203mm and 180mm disks. Is this the correct size? as sounds a bit odd. Looking at Hope website in the tech section they look like the E4 but mounts looked more like the M4 any ideas on what they are?

Thanks

Attachments

• $T2eC16hHJHEE9ny2tlu(BQQg49eDD!~~60_12.jpg
    $T2eC16hHJHEE9ny2tlu(BQQg49eDD!~~60_12.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 960
  • $T2eC16NHJIQE9qUHsFUkBQQg5ssYRw~~60_12.jpg
    $T2eC16NHJIQE9qUHsFUkBQQg5ssYRw~~60_12.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 960
I had a similar question a while back with some Hope brakes. I emailed Hope and they confirmed rotor sizes in a day! They are really good at getting back to people.

No doubt someone will be along shortly with an answer for you though.

No6 is boxxer mount IIRC and the calipers look like the little XC4's to me.
E4 and M4 look essentially the same, at least in size and DH4 are bigger again.
I had a DH4 setup with a no6 front caliper, I never used it, but it came with a 203 front and a 180 rear from a trusted source, so I assume this to be correct.

Thanks for replies, found a couple of pictures on the interweb the one marked "M4 6" is boxxer mount caliper and the one just marked "6" is an E4 caliper. Both no6 but mounts and spacing look very different, still confused!

Attachments

• p4pb6721238 (1).jpg
    p4pb6721238 (1).jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 932
  • p4pb6721241.jpg
    p4pb6721241.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 932
They are not XC4s, look more like Enduro 4s with the closed system Pro levers. The Original M4s look similar but use a closed system Mini lever.
As has been said they are Boxxer mount calipers but it looks to me that they are both Boxxer mount calipers. I think that the Boxxer mount is only for the front as they have built in spacers where they bolt on to fork, wouldn't think they'd fit on back due to in-built spacers.

These links might help with IDing disc sizes, calipers and levers.

http://web.archive.org/web/200502090101 ... b_fitt.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200406051054 ... _index.htm

As you can see there isn't a No6 caliper in list of rears, so if you have 2 No6s it could be you have 2 front calipers.

I think that Boxxer adapter mount is meant to be used with an ordinary caliper that is not like a Hope No6 with it's in-built spacers. The adapter is much thicker than a normal adapter that you'd use to fit a bigger disc.

As to machining, I thought about getting a Hope Boxxer front brake off someone on here as it wasn't selling. Was just going to carefully reduce the in-built spacers in size to that of normal caliper using a file and digital vernier caliper. Didn't in the end as I got the correct brakes elsewhere.

old_coyote_pedaller":16v29382 said:
Was just going to carefully reduce the in-built spacers in size to that of normal caliper using a file and digital vernier caliper.

Think thats going to be best solution as have access to machine tools, thanks

cyfa2809":35q6ycjv said:
I have a n0.8 caliper half (m4) which i believed to be 203mm boxxer mount! ?

Well there you go,you were totally wrong :p

No8 C2 front = 205
No8 M4 rear = 185mm

Back