Is this worth restoring?

Halo

Retro Newbie
I would like to start light mountain biking. By light I mean tracks and such, nothing life threatening.

I can't afford a new bike but I have one just like this in the garden.

Specialized Hardrock Comp 2001

Its has a fair bit of work needing to be done to it but I would like to see if I can bring it back to life. Well not just back to life but make it as good if not better than new.

Is this worth the effort do you believe? My brother who is a road biker said not to bother its had it but then he is trying to get me in to road riding.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCF1606-1.jpg
    DSCF1606-1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,312
Hi...two things

you might have better luck in the 1998---> section

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=41

secondly what do you think is wrong with it? if it's just setting up then try your local bike shop or halfords who do a care plane for 20 quid and they both should be able to get it on the road.

If it's parts they both should be able to advise you

my tuppence worth, while its never gonna set the world alight. For a starter bike your hardrock comp would be perfect if its the right size for you.

Bike looks like its been well looked after and has half decent kit for a hardrock which were very much entry level, some models were below that. At some point someone has changed the tyres to something decent and the rear rim looks to be mavic again a change from the lower quality zac weinmans that would have been on it.

bit of grease oil and love is all it needs. its usually rings and cassettes and maybe bottom bracket needs changing, although your bike looks to have had an easy life so maybe not even that.

EDIT

oh i see, thats not your bike then. £80-100 will buy you a good starter bike here, you might end up chucking a lot more at the spesh if it needs work, especially if you take it to LBS or halfrauds.

you could always get the parts and advice from here and do it yourself

you'll be able to ride it and get use to riding again. pop into the newer bike section and get pictures of your actual bike up and what you think it needs.

are you or do you want to learn to do it yourself?

it is certainly better/easier to rode than many of the Retro bikes we ride down some harsh stuff.
parts or cables shouldn't be to much either.

you'll be able to ride it and get use to riding again. pop into the newer bike section and get pictures of your actual bike up and what you think it needs.

are you or do you want to learn to do it yourself?

it is certainly better/easier to rode than many of the Retro bikes we ride down some harsh stuff.
parts or cables shouldn't be to much either.

Back