cassette advice needed asap as i need to order one tonight

dirtydozen

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Will i be able to run a road cassette on my mtb?
I presume the gearing on a road cassette will give me more speed?
I running xtr m970 shifters and m972 rear mech

Yup, no problem, all the sprocket spacing, lenghts and cassette bodies are the same on 9spd, road or MTB.

All the best,

cheers guys, do i need to get a road specific chain?
I need a new casstte on one of my kliens you see and was just about to buy another mtb one but i have just got a new one on the raven which i only use on the road so thought i would see if it would work

More speed is unlikely. Modern MTB cassettes have the same high gear as modern road cassettes.
The main difference is the lower gears. MTB cassettes need to support a much wider range of ratios, which means the difference between one sprocket and the one next to it will be much bigger than on a road cassette.

As above, so you have a closer spread of lower gears.
Which can be the difference.

Chain will be fine, 9 speed is 9 speed. You can even use a 10 speed chain if you wish.

Might be worth getting a new chain for new cassette unless not much wear on your original one.

sooooo
shold i just get another MTB one, is it worth going the road one route or will i not notice the difference apaart art from when i need to go up a hill and its harder lol

Main difference is the lack of proper low gears on a road cassette, and the fact that they're much closer ratio so you can maintain the same cadence. Personally I'd stick with the old 11-32/43 unless you want to race the bike.

Latest posts

Back