Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:47 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:22 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi Guys,

Just bought my first set of clipless pedals and shoes (Shimano M520's) as I've been very reluctant in the past but am determined to give them a fair crack..... a short ride around the block tonight was fine and no issues at all....

My question is really regarding the cleats..... the pedals came with the standard single release SH51 black cleats but upon reading the intsructions I see you can also get the SH56 multi release cleats that seem a good idea.....

What do most people run ? it seems on face value that the multi release jobs offer more advantages for no disadvantage from what I can see ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:28 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Much prefer the single release ones, myself.
I found the multis were OK most of the time, but would release just when I didn't want them to...pulling away from the lights, bunnyhopping that big log, jolting through the rocks etc...

Great for nervous beginners, but you can pull them up and out as well as twist to release.

All the best,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:32 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Ok, interesting, thanks for the reply, thought not a single sole would favour the single release jobbies but goes to show it's worth getting opinions... :D

Kinda thought that myself, at least with only ONE way to release you will (hopefully) with time do that and that only and have no issues, whereas with multi release maybe there's a tendency to get slightly lazy thinking you can unclip any old how etc.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:16 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Yup, I think it's a pretty good indication that all but the single most basic double-sided leisure SPD (Shimano PD-M324) are supplied with the single release SH51 cleat...

All the best,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:27 pm 
Retro Guru

Multi-release are the devil's work :) Not much point being attached to the pedals if suddenly you're unexpectedly not...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:30 am 
South East Deputy AEC
South East Deputy AEC

I got multi release for my first foray into clipless, and i'm happy to say, i'm still running them 2 years on

Despite what's written up there ^ I don't get many unexpected clip outs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:54 am 
Retro Guru

I had some multi-release cleats with my first SPD pedals (M324). I changed them almost straight away. They are good if you are going to ride around on the road a bit and get used to the whole twist out thing because when you forget they will save you from the inevitable SPD fall over moment, but they pretty much defeat the object of having SPDs. You can't pull on the pedal so you dont gain a pedaling/power advantage and they offer no security in terms of keeping your feet on the pedals over the rough stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:57 am 
Retro Guru

BobCatMax wrote:
I got multi release for my first foray into clipless, and i'm happy to say, i'm still running them 2 years on

Despite what's written up there ^ I don't get many unexpected clip outs

With SH51's you don't get any unexpected clip outs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:07 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Its worth saying that with either version, you will eventually have an SPD related injury, don't worry too much though it is usually only bruised ego. It seems to happen just when you get confident. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:23 am 
South East Deputy AEC
South East Deputy AEC

JamesM wrote:
I had some multi-release cleats with my first SPD pedals (M324). I changed them almost straight away. They are good if you are going to ride around on the road a bit and get used to the whole twist out thing because when you forget they will save you from the inevitable SPD fall over moment, but they pretty much defeat the object of having SPDs. You can't pull on the pedal so you dont gain a pedaling/power advantage and they offer no security in terms of keeping your feet on the pedals over the rough stuff.

I can very happily pull on the pedal, stood up, popping my knees out as i go uphill

I must be doing something wrong :lol: