Gear shifter help

Wingmanrob

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
So, I've got a bike with SLX shifters that whilst they shift reasonably well, I dont like the amount of thumb movement I have to make to get them to shift up.

The rest of the bike is XT and I've got a set of these cranks which I presume are 9 speed?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41257

Since they haven't seen many miles it seems a waste to ditch them and move to 10sp. So is there a big difference between SLX shifters and XT shifters, or should I try and hunt down a set of XTR 970 shifters which seem to be increasingly difficult to find, and it doesn't look like Shimano will be producing anymore 9sp XTR

Or can I stick a set of SRAM 9 sp shifters with this set up and have it work great?

Any help will be much appreciated :)

I had a bike that came with SLX shifters then swapped them out for XTR 970, I can't remember if the throw was longer on the SLX's though. Just tried my XTR's & I have to push about 15mm to change up so compare that to your SLX's.
You can't put SRAM shifters on without changing the rear mech to SRAM to match, the front shifter will work with a Shimano mech though. I also have an X0 front shifter on another bike (with an 970 rear shifter) and I'm sure you can change the throw on the X0's by undoing the bolt underneath but I haven't tried it.

It's just the way the modern shifters are. I've recently fitted XT 770 shifters and it took a bit to get used to how much I had to move the thumb lever on the left hand side to grab another chainring.

Wingmanrob":28xdgfpv said:
Or can I stick a set of SRAM 9 sp shifters with this set up and have it work great?

no, SRAM shifters pull a different amount of cable to Shimano so they work only with the same make rear mech. Front is not an issue as there is only one gear in between the two end stops.

Ok, thanks for taking the time to comment. I've gone and picked up a new set of XT shifters for £50, so hopefully I'll notice an improvement in the shifting and it's now uniform XT throughout.

Back